🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Unlink Phone Number
Page options
maggieenglehart
Community Member

Unlink Phone Number

I created an account a couple years ago with my phone number and have since deleted the account, but I want to create a new account with the same number and I'm getting an error. How can I fix this so I can verify my account?

8 REPLIES 8
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Maggie,

As a gentle reminder, please know that users are not allowed to create a new account regardless of the old account being closed (or suspended). I would recommend reinstating your old account instead to comply with the Upwork Terms of Service. 

You can send me the details of your old account through a private message (by clicking on my name), so that I can assist you privately.

~ Avery
Upwork
dzadza
Community Member

Hi Avery, Just a quick question - if the freelancer deleted the account and creating a new one shows an error - does that mean that OP account is still in there somewhere?

Hi Sanja,

Please note that having multiple accounts is a serious violation of Upwork's ToS. If the Freelancer closed their account, we can easily reopen that account.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar,

I'm very much aware of the fact that having two accounts is a violations of UW terms. My question was not about that. OP stated that her account was deleted, but it turned out that her phone number is still in the UW system. So - my question is - what info "stays behind" after the account is deleted? Since OP obviously believed that the account was deleted. And it wasn't. Or - some parts weren't deleted.
VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sanja,

I'd like to reiterate the information we shared before in the Community that user accounts are closed, not deleted. This process is not to be confused with the ability users have to request that we delete certain information they provided on their account. While we won't be able to share any information on Maggie's account status, we can confirm that actions taken on her account are in line with Upwork ToS and in line with the actions on the account owner's end.

If you'd like to find our more about our data retention policy, please refer to article 3. Data Retention of the Privacy Policy section of Upwork ToS.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
dzadza
Community Member

Thanks for the clarifcation, Vladimir.
Started reading those - and I'm quite alarmed by the stuff I see there...

2fed5932
Community Member

Hi Avery,

My name is Lilian and I just tried to sign up for a different account on upwork but I am not able to.

Please help

Hello there,

Thank you for your message. Could you please clarify the reason for signing up for a different account? 

- Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members