Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive Clients/Usage of connects

jeffrey_ijeomah
Ace Contributor
Jeffrey I Member Since: Mar 5, 2017
1 of 7

Good day guys, i just joined upwork on the 22nd of February and i already have only 6 connects left. I have only had one offer and completed just that job. Does anyone please have any idea of how i should control my eagerness to submit proposals to projects i have alot of interest in? Or how New Upwork freelancers can get a closer chance at getting offers instead of wasting connects. Thank you!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

Write better proposals.

When you run out of connects it means it is time for you to work on your portfolio.

jeffrey_ijeomah
Ace Contributor
3 of 7

Alright, thank you very much!

So you truly believe the reason new Upwork freelancers do not get offers or get unresponsive clients when proposals are submitted is down to just their portfolio and submitted proposals?

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 7

Jeffrey, since we don't know what jobs you applied to, we can only make general recommendations. So my suggestion is to be more selective when making proposals. Where possible choose jobs where your skills will stand out from the competition, such as a job where you can leverage your engineering background.

5 of 7
Thank you John. That's a fair comment. I would definitely start being more selective as well as work on my profile. Thank you again
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
6 of 7

re: "So you truly believe the reason new Upwork freelancers do not get offers or get unresponsive clients when proposals are submitted is down to just their portfolio and submitted proposals?"

Every freelancer who is on Upwork started out as a newbie at some point.

I hardly every apply to jobs any more. Clients come to me with great job offers. But it took me a while to get to that point. I was a newbie once. I started out with a MUCH lower hourly rate, and I started out not getting many responses to job proposals. I was in the same place that you are now.

MOST FREELANCERS will never get past that point. Most people who come here aren't cut out for this. It's not who they are.

If you stay and prosper or give up... it's up to you. Most people should absolutely, 100% give up. Most people should never have come here in the first place. You're the only one who can decide whether or not this is really for you.

View solution in original post

jeffrey_ijeomah
Ace Contributor
7 of 7

Thank you very much Preston. I'm truly motivated. I do not plan on giving up any time soon, I would reduce my hourly rate for a start, then get very selective with my proposal submissions while i wait for my connects to reload.

Thank you again!!