🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Unresponsive client
Page options
marieyeyey
Community Member

Unresponsive client

Hi there! 

Recently, I accepted a photoshop work that required me to retouch a portrait image. It was a fixed-price contract. The client was responsive at the beginning, and she had me revise the editing about 5 times. During one of her last replies, she said that she needed the image done that night so I had the edit done immediately and sent it to her in the messages. However, she didn't respond after that. I saw in the contract that the pay was already funded, but I never initiated to submit it for payment since she never replied and said she approved of it. But what bothers me is I never got paid after all that work. My question is would it be okay to submit my output for payment even if she didn't approve it in our messages? My only worry is that she'd give me a bad rating for doing so. 

Thanks so much to anyone who can respond! 

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Marie Carla Aleijn P wrote:

Hi there! 

Recently, I accepted a photoshop work that required me to retouch a portrait image. It was a fixed-price contract. The client was responsive at the beginning, and she had me revise the editing about 5 times. During one of her last replies, she said that she needed the image done that night so I had the edit done immediately and sent it to her in the messages. However, she didn't respond after that. I saw in the contract that the pay was already funded, but I never initiated to submit it for payment since she never replied and said she approved of it. But what bothers me is I never got paid after all that work. My question is would it be okay to submit my output for payment even if she didn't approve it in our messages? My only worry is that she'd give me a bad rating for doing so. 

Thanks so much to anyone who can respond! 

You should have submitted the work for payment when you sent it. Do that now, and you will be paid after 14 days automatically if the client does not approve it before. After that, end the contract.

Don't worry about bad feedback, why should you get one? The client is able to leave feedback when you close the contract, but most likely will not, and you will never hear from him again. 

JoanneP

Hi Marie Carla Aleijn,

Martina is right. You should always use the button for submitting work for payment for fixed-price projects. Please check out this help article for more information about getting paid for fixed price projects. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Under a fixed price project, if you expect at the beginning of a project that you will have to make, say, 5 revisions in your work to complete the project, you should submit the first four revisions to the client via Upwork's messaging system. When you do submit the final revision you think you should provide based on your agreement with the client, then and only then submit it via the green work submission button on the Upwork project page. 

This will start Upwork's automatic 14-day payment clock ticking. The client can release the escrowed pay sooner - in my experience, nearly all do - but they may not and then you'll have payment processed by Upwork at the end of that period. (Do not re-submit the work; that re-starts the 14-day payment period.)

If you submit your first version of a project using the green work submission button, you might find some clients worrying that you're trying to get them to pay for the work before it's complete. Not all (not many?) clients really understand how Upwork works and that all you've done is start the 14-day period for payment and are willing to make further revisions before you expect escrow will be released.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths