🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Unresponsive to proposals
Page options
sricco12
Community Member

Unresponsive to proposals

Hi! I have submitted about 5 or 6 proposals and no one responds. As in they don’t even deny me. Is there a rule of thumb with when job posters need to respond by? Or when I should just withdraw and move on? I’m really excited about using Upwork and I can’t seem to get started because I get zero response and it’s frustrating. I just want to get some activity out of your platform. Any advice?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have submitted about 5 or 6 proposals and no one responds. As in they don’t even deny me."

Yes, that happens.

Nothing unusual about that.

re: "Is there a rule of thumb with when job posters need to respond by?"

No.

re: "Or when I should just withdraw and move on?"
You derive no benefit from withdrawing.

On the contrary...

If you do NOT withdraw, then you may have your connects refunded to you under various conditions.

re: "Any advice?"

You need to submit proposals and then forget about them. They are not part of your life. You don't look at them or think about them. You may look for OTHER jobs that you are highly qualified for and send good proposals to those.

If a client responds to you, you'll know. You'll receive an email and it will show up in the Upwork interface. That is when you pay attention to that job and that client.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I have submitted about 5 or 6 proposals and no one responds. As in they don’t even deny me."

Yes, that happens.

Nothing unusual about that.

re: "Is there a rule of thumb with when job posters need to respond by?"

No.

re: "Or when I should just withdraw and move on?"
You derive no benefit from withdrawing.

On the contrary...

If you do NOT withdraw, then you may have your connects refunded to you under various conditions.

re: "Any advice?"

You need to submit proposals and then forget about them. They are not part of your life. You don't look at them or think about them. You may look for OTHER jobs that you are highly qualified for and send good proposals to those.

If a client responds to you, you'll know. You'll receive an email and it will show up in the Upwork interface. That is when you pay attention to that job and that client.

Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated!
alexis-arinze
Community Member

Stephanie R wrote:
Hi! I have submitted about 5 or 6 proposals and no one responds. As in they don’t even deny me. Is there a rule of thumb with when job posters need to respond by? Or when I should just withdraw and move on? I’m really excited about using Upwork and I can’t seem to get started because I get zero response and it’s frustrating. I just want to get some activity out of your platform. Any advice?

Hey, I use the platform as both a freelancer and a client. There's no rule set in place that forces clients to decline freelancers they know they won't choose. It mostly ends up being a waiting game. I typically only decline the really really bad proposals. It's also best not to withdraw because you never know if the client will end up hiring you. 

Thank you for the feedback, it is very much appreciated!
gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

Preston has already given all the answers, but just wanted to add something that I have learnt from my experience is, ( I am also new to Upwork just a month and a half with regular activities.)

Initial two-three days I was also bothered with this, but then I take it as a part of the business. Like in real life, not every proposal gets accepted since the client is already speaking to many, same goes here on the online platform(Upwork), They generally get 10-15 proposals per job post so it is obvious that they cannot hire all, so they don't spend/waste their time by replying back to all whom they do not hire.

My success ratio of conversion is 8%-9% as compared to the number of proposals I send per week, I don't know it is good or not, but since I am new and have the only a couple of jobs in my stats, so I am happy that I have something to showcase, and hope this will increase gradually.

we all know that Rome was not built in a day, so I suggest you have faith in yourself and keep patience.

You shall feel really great when you get your 'first' order... irrespective of the amount, you will have a joyful day, when it happens.

have a happy journey with Upwork.

Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths