🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Unsuccessful job proposals
Page options
muhammadtaha10
Community Member

Unsuccessful job proposals

Hi! I’ve been applying on jobs with no success lately.

I try my best to address the client’s requirements in the proposal, and showing the client what I can do.

Can someone please look at my profile, and provide feedback on where I’m going wrong?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TiffanyF
Staff
Staff

Hi Muhammad,

Welcome to Upwork!

Thanks for your message. I'm an Upwork Success Partner and an independent professional on Upwork for more than 6 years, and I'll be happy to share a few tips on how you can improve the marketability of your profile:

• Your title "Content Writing" is vague and does not help you stand out since many other professionals have the same or similar titles. Consider adding information about technologies, skills, or the type of projects you are wanting to do. If you have specific knowledge you can write about, think about adding that information.
  • Right now your overview is short compared to the average. Consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. You can arrange information to make it easier for clients to scan, for example, you could have your introduction paragraph and separate paragraphs for skills and experience. You can also use bullet points to help organize your lists. Expand on services you offer, what you’re most passionate about, and mention specialized software/ tools if appropriate. Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values. 
    • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.
  • Currently, you have one specialized profile. To ensure all of your expertise is captured using the features of specialized profiles, you might want to consider adding an additional specialized profile to showcase your skills. You can review a list of all of the options here to help you select the most relevant one. You can have up to two of these profiles which can help you show off different areas of work and market to specific types of clients.

• If you have more than one area that you are trying to provide services in you create each profile to show off your skills and work in that area.  If you're targeting two different types of clients and should have a profile that speaks to each of them. In some cases, categories are complementary and clients will look in two places for the same type of services so you want to be sure you’re marketing in both.
  • You can use the Testimonial tool to request written recommendations from clients you’ve worked with outside of Upwork. Then, in your proposal, you can direct the client to testimonials for similar projects you’ve completed. This will help instill trust in your work while you build your Upwork history.
  • In the Employment section, add relevant details to help clients understand your background. For employment, Some types of information you could include in your details are your duties, if you worked independently or with a team, and any major accomplishments.

I encourage you to visit the Upwork Events page for past and upcoming educational events. It might help you learn more about how to get started and be successful on Upwork. There is a great session to check out called Upwork Power Webinar: Winning Profiles to get even more tips. I also recommend that you check out  How to Write Proposals: Proven Advice From Freelancers on Upwork article and The 20 Best Cover Letter Tips & Examples for 2021 for additional tips on how to craft a good proposal.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Tiffany F. | Upwork Success Partner

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TiffanyF
Staff
Staff

Hi Muhammad,

Welcome to Upwork!

Thanks for your message. I'm an Upwork Success Partner and an independent professional on Upwork for more than 6 years, and I'll be happy to share a few tips on how you can improve the marketability of your profile:

• Your title "Content Writing" is vague and does not help you stand out since many other professionals have the same or similar titles. Consider adding information about technologies, skills, or the type of projects you are wanting to do. If you have specific knowledge you can write about, think about adding that information.
  • Right now your overview is short compared to the average. Consider crafting your overview as a pitch to prospective clients. You can arrange information to make it easier for clients to scan, for example, you could have your introduction paragraph and separate paragraphs for skills and experience. You can also use bullet points to help organize your lists. Expand on services you offer, what you’re most passionate about, and mention specialized software/ tools if appropriate. Other examples of information you can include are past accomplishments and projects, preferred working style, and your business’ values. 
    • The beginning of your profile overview displays in prospective client search results and it’s your first 200-character pitch. So, your first sentence should include clear, relevant information about your primary skill sets and expertise. To give a clear impression you’re the person the client wants to talk to, here are some additional tips for writing a great Overview.
  • Currently, you have one specialized profile. To ensure all of your expertise is captured using the features of specialized profiles, you might want to consider adding an additional specialized profile to showcase your skills. You can review a list of all of the options here to help you select the most relevant one. You can have up to two of these profiles which can help you show off different areas of work and market to specific types of clients.

• If you have more than one area that you are trying to provide services in you create each profile to show off your skills and work in that area.  If you're targeting two different types of clients and should have a profile that speaks to each of them. In some cases, categories are complementary and clients will look in two places for the same type of services so you want to be sure you’re marketing in both.
  • You can use the Testimonial tool to request written recommendations from clients you’ve worked with outside of Upwork. Then, in your proposal, you can direct the client to testimonials for similar projects you’ve completed. This will help instill trust in your work while you build your Upwork history.
  • In the Employment section, add relevant details to help clients understand your background. For employment, Some types of information you could include in your details are your duties, if you worked independently or with a team, and any major accomplishments.

I encourage you to visit the Upwork Events page for past and upcoming educational events. It might help you learn more about how to get started and be successful on Upwork. There is a great session to check out called Upwork Power Webinar: Winning Profiles to get even more tips. I also recommend that you check out  How to Write Proposals: Proven Advice From Freelancers on Upwork article and The 20 Best Cover Letter Tips & Examples for 2021 for additional tips on how to craft a good proposal.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Tiffany F. | Upwork Success Partner

Thank you, Tiffany!
Your reply has been of tremendous help.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths