cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up Work

Community Leader
Tammara C Member Since: Oct 14, 2016
1 of 6

Community, After receiving this email on today from up work concerning LLC I wanted to know if I should change from LLC to something else? I have also read this article concerning this matter but am uncertain. I wonder can this be because I have applied to jobs that want to know if I am comfortable working with or under up work? I stated I would be honored, is this wrong? Here is the article below.

“What Every U.S. Freelancer Should Do Before Starting Your Next Project

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 6

Tammara, I don't speak for Upwork but here's my reaction. The article you cite says,

"Below are some suggestions to help grow your business and protect yourself.

You can begin by choosing a legal entity like an LLC or corporation. If you’re thinking, “I’m not big enough for that yet” consider this: If you’re taking payment for any work done, you’re big enough to think about it now."

(italics and bold text mine)

So first, this is a "suggestion", not a requirement. Second, it says you "can... think about it." Thinking about it doesn't mean doing something now. Also, the article has a table of pros & cons. Under cons, it staties, "Costs. Creating a legal entity costs money up front and each year to maintain." So definitely think about the upfront and continuing costs before doing anything.

4 of 6

I'm a U.S. freelancer but I didn't think about becoming an LLC before accepting a project today. That was a close one.

4 of 6

The email you received was purely informational to provide resources to those interested in becoming an LLC. This is not a requirement to work on Upwork. 

-Lena

Untitled
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
5 of 6

@ Lena E.:  I imagine it was you who removed the cruel, inappropriate post within this from someone a bit earlier.  Please accept kudos for that as well.  Smiley Happy 

Community Leader
Tammara C Member Since: Oct 14, 2016
6 of 6

Thanks Community!

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS