🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » UpWork Desktop Terms and Conditions
Page options
joycecp
Community Member

UpWork Desktop Terms and Conditions

Hi,

I was trying to install the UpWork Desktop app when I read the terms and conditions outlined. On your website, it says that app is very safe and it won't capture any confidential information. However, the T&Cs state the following:

"THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED WITH ALL FAULTS AND THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY AND EFFORT IS WITH YOU. UPWORK DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES REGARDING THE SECURITY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU DOWNLOAD AND USE THE SOFTWARE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OR USE OF THE SOFTWARE.

Privacy Disclaimer: TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, UPWORK DISCLAIMS LIABILITY IN THE EVENT OF THE UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR MISAPPROPRIATION OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OR PRIVATE COMMUNICATIONS BY THIRD PARTIES."

I find this highly suspicious. I mean, if by any chance the tracker does leak my information, the T&C effectively says that I am solely responsible for it!

The only reason I was trying to install the app is because your payment protection policy requires it. However, I am not very comfortable with the terms you have outlined. How do I know what information would and would not be uploaded? Also, your website says that the app would take a snapshot 6 times in an hour. What happens in the event that I am logging in on a site and the password shows up? If I delete that snapshot, I would lose that particular time segment and therefore, valuable effort hours.

If you can please provide a clarification, it would help. I tried getting in touch through the UpWork help center but was not provided any option to send an email.

Regards,
Joyce Chacko

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Joyce,

To learn more about our desktop app you can visit this Help Article.
Our desktop app is recording only the following: 

1. Screenshot 
  2. Camera shot (If you enable this feature)
  3. Count of keyboard/mouse activities (keypress/ mouseclick)
  4. Once per minute get time of latest user activity (any mousemove/click/keyboard press)
  5. Window title of current active app (Google Chrome/ MSword/ VisualStudio e.t.c.)
~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
imakeinternet
Community Member

If you don't agree with the terms then don't install it and don't accept any hourly contracts.  It's really that simple.  Paranoia isn't going to help your situation.  All the tracker uploads is your time logged and random screenshots of your screen while you are working.  It's completely fine.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Joyce,

To learn more about our desktop app you can visit this Help Article.
Our desktop app is recording only the following: 

1. Screenshot 
  2. Camera shot (If you enable this feature)
  3. Count of keyboard/mouse activities (keypress/ mouseclick)
  4. Once per minute get time of latest user activity (any mousemove/click/keyboard press)
  5. Window title of current active app (Google Chrome/ MSword/ VisualStudio e.t.c.)
~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths