🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Updating my profile several times will effect...
Page options
k_necka
Community Member

Updating my profile several times will effect to my account?

Dear Support Team!

How are you today?

I am writing to you because I wanna get help regarding my account. To be honest, I am new to Upwork and when I create Upwork profile, it was under review so I tried to resubmit about 3~4 times changing my skills and profile again and again.Finally, I received message that my profile become a live and for now, I can submit proposals to proper projects so I am really appreciate about this.But what I am afraid of for now is that changing my profiles even several times might give my account a kind of bad effect.

So I wanna get help with this problem with you.

Thanks in advance!

Regards!

13 REPLIES 13
lysis10
Community Member

a lot of these questions today

I guess it got around to some Facebook group that Upwork is cracking down.

yitwail
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

I suggested elsewhere that someone could create specialized profiles instead of changing skills. Just thinking outside the Schrödinger's cat box in my humble way. Cat Wink

John K wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I suggested elsewhere that someone could create specialized profiles instead of changing skills. Just thinking outside the Schrödinger's cat box in my humble way. Cat Wink

ha I did see that. I'm not sure the Auto Acceptedcels that post this question on Upwork's forum are the brightest bulbs so not sure they'd be able to figure it out.

k_necka
Community Member

Thanks for your quick replies but I am not sure yet about my questions.
Could you be more specific?

So it will affect to my account?

In that case, what can I do to prevent that?
Due to even I was not allowed to contact to Support Team for now…

lysis10
Community Member

Krzysztof N wrote:

Thanks for your quick replies but I am not sure yet about my questions.
Could you be more specific?

yes, people have been banned for lying about their skill set or letting someone log into their account, change it to mobile developer, and then change it back to something else.

k_necka
Community Member

Thanks for your reply!
In that case, what can I do to prevent that kind of bad thing?

Actually, I learnt about it from Youtube video.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

It was not intentional action to violates the Upwork policy, just for getting approved my profile...

I never knew that it will result banning of my acount and kind of violation of Upwork policy because it was allowed to update my profile whenever I want to do it. I wanna be honest with Upwork Team and that's why I am asking this for now. So I wanna know how can I resolve this problem.
My account is still live for now and don't wanna get any kind of bad trouble with my account because I really wanna work on Upwork keeping your policies.

Thanks for your help in advance!

k_necka
Community Member

Dear Support Team!

I am writing to you because I wanna get help with my account.

Actually, when I create Upwork account, it was under review so tried to resubmit my profile changing skills about 3~4 times.

Finally, my profile was get approved so for now, I can send proposals.

But I heard from Community Supporter that it might result banning of my account so really afraid of that kind of thing might be happen...

My account is still live so wanna know if it's possible to prevent this trouble. Honestly it wasn't intentional action, just for approving my account. Or should I give up my account?

a_lipsey
Community Member

"It wasn't intentional action"

But it was. You intentionally mislead Upwork by listing skills you do not intend to seek work for so that you could get a profile approved and then change your skills and seek other work than you said you were interested in.   That was a completely intentional act to game the system and get into Upwork when you otherwise would have been rejected. 

Then you come to the forum to ask for community support on how to further game the system? If you signed up under certain skills then you need to offer those skills. If you want to add other skills you could create a specialized profile if the skillsets differ widely. 

k_necka
Community Member

No gamed!
I have wide skillset from translation to mobile dev and web dev as well.
All based on my skill set.
But I didn’t pay attention to specialized profiles.
It’s my fault, I think…
But I know that it was allowed to change my skills & profile at any time I need and that’s why I did so.
So what is the answer for now?
Should I give up my account?

a_lipsey
Community Member

If these are all your skills then just leave them and apply for the jobs that you are interested in. If you want to create a specialized profile or remove some skills that you are less interested in using here, then do so. 

But changing your skills 3-4 times to get approved seems suspicious to me. I would go with specialized profiles for the different skillsets if I was in this situation. 

For example, while my profession is grant writing, I am also an artist and do some basic graphic design. I might create a specialized profile for simple graphic design gigs if I was interested in branching out, versus changing my whole profile entirely. 

k_necka
Community Member

Your mention sounds fair!
But you know I am new to Upwork so even hadn’t got idea of specialized profile…
Firstly, I created my account with translation skills because I am qualified with for both English and Polish. After under view, just I received messages to update or add my skills to get approved my profile on Upwork. So for next 2 times, I tried to add some more translation skills to existing one but it still wasn’t approved. So I felt like that there are already tons of translators on Upwork and that’s why my profile couldn’t be approved…
Otherwise, I have other skill-set in programming for both mobile and web dev so created my profile with these skills and for now, filed out all skills with these technologies.

Saying again, honestly, I didn’t gamed Upwork Service

lysis10
Community Member

This guy got his answer in another thread. I guess the Auto Acceptedcels on Facebook are panicking. 

k_necka
Community Member

Hi Jennifer, how are you today?
Hope you had a great weekend!
Could you give me an update for my last messages?
Thanks in advance!
Regards!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths