cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork - A work in progress (Suggestions)

Ace Contributor
João P Member Since: May 23, 2017
1 of 4

Hi all,

New member (well... registered a few years ago but active for about a month) and although things are going great if a couple of great projects and clients, I still struggle to understand how upwork operates:

1) I think that a client should post an estimated/expected hourly rate directly related to the degree of the desired experience, ie, if a client chooses an expert level freelancer, it should be restricted to a specific rate eg: medium level > $35 / hr

2) The same should be applied to the freelancer. Create a verification method for the level of experience. Or at least bind the freelance to a more honest representation of their skils.

3) Reduce the number of proposals sent to the client. I find it impossible for a client to review 50 proposals accurately for a job offer, let alone choose the best fit for their project. It's a tiresome chore and you'll still have to conduct interviews!!!!

4) Improve the compatibilty between job offer and freelance level - although I'm sure this is already a priority for this platform.

let me know what you think,
thanks,

Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
2 of 4

Hi there

The problem with a set price range for different levels of experience, is that it varies between the different fields, and sometimes even within the one field.

The hourly rate for an experienced data entry operator is going to be different to that of a computer programmer, or a graphic designer etc. There are far too many variables for Upwork to go through and try to determine what the various rates should be.

Restricting the number of freelancers that can apply for a job is of no benefit to the client. All it means is that they get the freelancers who are sitting up all night waiting for jobs to pop up (probably because they don't have any contracts to work on). Hardly the best for the job. Clients have to sift through proposals whether it be online, or in the bricks and mortar world.

Cheers

Craig

Ace Contributor
João P Member Since: May 23, 2017
3 of 4

Thanks Craig,

The price range could be determined by area. The problem I'm pointing is the possibility to create a job offer for a very low rate, specify it as an expert level and expect the results to be excellent. it's naive and I suppose it's a lesson that a client can learn as well on the "real world": you get what you pay for. 

Nonetheless, My point is that there's information lacking when a client is preparing a brief and job offer. Something that Upwork could implement very easily. It would prevent bad experiences for less prepared clients and also set a minimum quality for each experience level.

Also, I don't want to restrict the number of applicants - in fact I think the connect systems should be free (but I appreciate that they want to contain spam submissions). I wished there was a better sorting method for the client (a more advanced search filter perhaps) that could help the client narrow down the search. At the moment, it frustating for both ends:

1) browsing 50+ job offers

2) apply to a job that already has 50+ offers.

Perhaps the solution is to create a merit tier list (more accurate that a simple top rated badge) that will move your freelance profile up, thus making it more visible to employers.

Fascinated by how all this operates, despite the chaos!

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
4 of 4

Perhaps the solution is to create a merit tier list (more accurate that a simple top rated badge) that will move your freelance profile up, thus making it more visible to employers.

Which would be based on what additional parameters?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS