cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Affiliate Program

lrs20
Rachel R Member Since: Oct 1, 2016
11 of 32

Does an affiliate program exist yet?  I am writing a blog and would like to mention Upwork.  It would promote Upwork's services to freelancers.  

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
12 of 32

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, the affiliate program doesn't exist yet. However, I will share your feedback with the rest of our team for consideration.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
sean_holland
Sean H Member Since: Feb 3, 2019
13 of 32

I wrote my comments a year ago, and in that time I have come to learn that Upwork has no interest in an affiliate program. Why would they, when they are turning away tens of thousands of Freelancers a week? The platform is useful, but not ideal for those looking to provide high-value work, rather than cheap. I have actually made a good rate out of Upwork over the last 12 months but it has been a tough slog cutting through the swathes of arrogant and sometimes downright rude clients. Their sense of entitlement to slave labour is palpable. Most of them have no idea about the workings of the discipline they are trying to hire. 

I tried to engage Upwork in a discussion about improving conditions and even offered a model that would refine the expectations of clients, and improve the welfare and earnings of creatives, but so far I have not had a single response. I guess the money is rolling in regardless of the conditions and attitudes we face from hirers. 

I think the answer is to use Upwork for what it is, and don't worry about referring any new people as they clearly don't need more freelancers. 

All the best with your work, I would be interested in your blog. Please send links.  

sharmarajesh60
Rajesh S Member Since: Nov 5, 2016
14 of 32

Hi All Freelancers,

Please help me regarding job and profile. All of you give me a suggestion. What to do get my first job and explore me work.

Please see my profile https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~010b7bc64e8c3fba4a/

What is the Problem in my profile.

Warm Regards

Rajesh Sharma

Thanks........

sharmarajesh60
Rajesh S Member Since: Nov 5, 2016
15 of 32

Hi All Freelancers,

Please help me regarding job and profile. All of you give me a suggestion. What to do get my first job and explore me work.

Please see my profile **Edited for Community Guidelines**

What is the Problem in my profile.

Warm Regards

Rajesh Sharma

Thanks........

sean_holland
16 of 32

I was astounded to find that there is no affiliate programme. I am merely echoing those that have spoken before, but Upwork... It is time to put this on your urgent to-do list. 

You have a community of happy freelancers, all making money and wanting to help you recruit more quality members. Why are you not taking advantage of this? 

Love the platform. Wish I could blog about it and see some return. 

Kindest

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
17 of 32

Sean H wrote:

I was astounded to find that there is no affiliate programme. I am merely echoing those that have spoken before, but Upwork... It is time to put this on your urgent to-do list. 

You have a community of happy freelancers, all making money and wanting to help you recruit more quality members. Why are you not taking advantage of this? 

Love the platform. Wish I could blog about it and see some return. 

Kindest

I've read the thread but don't seem to understand what exactly the intention of this program is. What we already  have: the agency system, where a number of freelancers can work under one firm, the "bring you own client program", where a freelancer can bring a client to upwork which benefits him because he never has to pay any fee for jobs for this client, and lastly the possibility that a client can bring his own client to upwork which I believe circumvents the approval process, but the freelancer can then only work for this client.

Is what you mean covered by one of the above or if not, in what way is it materially different?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
18 of 32

Sean H wrote:

You got it wrong.

The **LAST** thing Upwork wants or needs is more freelancers.

Every single day 10.000 (!!!) hopefuls try to join and 98% are rejected.

The majority who are accepted never earn a single Dollar.

So bearing that in mind, you expect to be paid to send even more of what there is already way, WAY too much?

Not gonna happen until Upwork runs out of freelancers, which isn't likely any time soon.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
19 of 32

re: "You have a community of happy freelancers, all making money and wanting to help you recruit more quality members. Why are you not taking advantage of this? Love the platform. Wish I could blog about it and see some return."

I understand that YOU imagine seeing some return, by having Upwork pay you money for new freelancers you refer to the site.

But how would Upwork benefit from this?

Upwork has no trouble attracting freelancers. But Upwork essentially does NOT make money by adding freelancers. Upwork makes money off of paying clients.

And Upwork ALREADY HAS a reward program for referring clients to the site.

So unless you can answer this key question: How would benefit from an affiliate program to refer freelancers to the site... Unless you can answer that, the idea is a non-starter.

sean_holland
20 of 32

I guess my answer to Petra covers most of this - but:

I never suggested the affiliate programme should be a payment for referring new freelancers to the platform. I understand that wouldnt work. 

What could work then?

(1) Giving a referring partner 10 new contact credits on a new referred freelancers first paying job? This would generate more income for everyone

(2) Giving a referring partner a cash reward for when a new referred partner hits $1000  turnover?

(3) Giving a referring partner some reason to want to invite their network of professionals to this site and increase the value to the end user client? 

EVERY successful platform has an affiliate scheme.  Not everyone can be an affiliate. You can set the criteria to benefit you.  Over 50% of my work so far has come from putting right work that less experienced freelancers have messed up. Great for me, but not so cool for the client. Maybe an affiliate scheme would help raise the bar on the platform?

I love Upwork - but it could be improved. These improvements would help everyone, not just freelancers. 

Thanks for your reply 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS