cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork Affiliate Program

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
21 of 27

If and when UW implements meaningful vetting of new FLs, ensuring each one truly is ready to operate a professional small business on this platform before enabling them to submit proposals...maybe then it would make sense to let the top tier recommend new members.

Having so many FL members who are not prepared to succeed here is an enormous drag on the hull because they require more service and attention without generating commensurate income. Until UW corrects that imbalance by meaningfully vetting newbies, there will be little audience for the idea of bringing in even more who need to be vetted (but won't be).

Sean H Member Since: Feb 3, 2019
22 of 27

Yeah - I think you have identified the real issue here. The open door policy. It is a six of one situation I guess. I honestly wouldn't have tried it if it wasn't completely free. However, now I see it works I would be happy to pay - Maybe permanent free access is the issue. 

Smiley Wink

Jesse J Member Since: Sep 28, 2018
23 of 27

I own over 400 domains, have several social media accounts (each with hundreds to thousands of followers), and own opt-in lists totaling over 225k. I can promote upwork, but why should I if there's no benefit financially for me in doing so. At least with Fiverr, I can promote their site and get paid on my affiliate account there. As to  the question in this thread from some upwork staff member that said (paraphrasing) ..."what would the benefit to upwork be?" ... I say without folks like me promoting your site, the only new members you'd get are those from your own advertising, but if you compensate me some justifiable manner for referring new members, then your member list will increase faster. Seems to me that's something you (upwork) would want!

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
24 of 27

Sean H wrote:

Yeah - I think you have identified the real issue here. The open door policy. It is a six of one situation I guess. I honestly wouldn't have tried it if it wasn't completely free. However, now I see it works I would be happy to pay - Maybe permanent free access is the issue. 

Smiley Wink

I would never have tried it if it weren't free, and I would not be able to bail out fast enough if I had to pay anything beyond a small percentage of earnings. Especially knowing how rickety some parts of the platform are and how strategically bass-ackward the whole thing is run these days.

I don't think a paywall would help, anyway. FLs who are able and willing to pay extra can be just as clueless and oblivious as those who can't or won't. I'm convinced it's a vetting issue.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
25 of 27

Sean and Jesse,

Thanks for sharing your suggestions. Just to clarify, we have a few programs running at the moment that allow clients to bring new freelancers on Upwork, freelancers to bring their clients on Upwork and Top Rated freelancer to refer other freelancers who work in customer support field to Upwork. We will inform our users if we launch any new referral programs.

Note that a few comments have been removed from this thread as they were in violation of the Community Guidelines.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Sean H Member Since: Feb 3, 2019
26 of 27

Hi 

OK - Thanks for the info. I cant refer on your scheme as I am in the UK. However, it is nice to see that Upwork have these schemes in place at some level. 

Thank you for the information

Ace Contributor
H. R Member Since: Sep 17, 2015
27 of 27

Upwork will not have an affiliate program.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS