🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Upwork ID
Page options
carlspencer
Community Member

Upwork ID

m new to upwork. I applied for a job and after which the person asked me for my upwrok ID.

What's my upwork ID?

5 REPLIES 5
katrinabeaver
Community Member

Carl,

This sounds like a scam to me. There's no reason a client needs your "Upwork ID". They can do everything they need to do to hire you from your profile. 

The only reason I can see why someone would want and "Upwork ID" is if they were trying to hack into your account. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

Hey there Carl... Maybe Katrina is right and it's a scam...

But let me suggest another possibility. Maybe this client is new to Upwork and is using words in a way we aren't accustomed to.

If somebody asked for my Upwork ID, I would just go to my public Upwork profile page, copy the URL and send it to him. Maybe he's simply trying to find the page he can hire me from.

(Obviously I'm not going to send him my username or password or anything.)

[Of course, if YOU applied to HIS job, then he should be able to click on a "Hire" button or "Interview" button directly in his candidates list. So this person would either definitely be a scammer or be somebody who is really new and REALLY DOESN'T know what they're doing.]

Hi Katrina,

I don't think so. Because, I recently got an invitation to a job and the client asked to all of us for Upwork Id and Upwork link. But the twist here is, the client is "Upwork plus client" and he has spent around $8 million till now. And he has 6000 reviews with 4.9 ratings.

Now say, how could be a client having this things be a "SCAM" ???

And yes, if I have wrote something wrong, than please forgive me for that. As I am new on Upwork, I don't have good knowledge as you of Upwork.

Hi Vatsal,

This is an older thread and I'd like to confirm that we consider Upwork user IDs to be Non-Identifying Information. In some cases they need to be shared with another user in order for them to send an invite to an agency or team. 

Additionally, if a client is asking for a profile ID, that information is also public and is part of the profile URL. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Carl,

Make sure you don't share any personal or private information with clients on Upwork such as your ID or bank account or passwords. Everything the client needs to hire you is available on your Upwork profile, so you can send them a link to it.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths