🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Upwork Messages
Page options
gamaleldeen20
Community Member

Upwork Messages

Hi,

I'm a freelancer.

Are the messages here official to deal with customers?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Gamal,

In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on a official contract and fulfill the criteria required. Upwork Payment Protection consists of two sub-programs: Protection for hourly contracts and fixed price contracts and you can learn more about this in the guide above. 

To learn more about Upwork and how it works, you can check out our resources Here as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Gamal,

Could you please share more details about your questions so that I can advise you accordingly?
If you`re referring to your messages center, there you will be able to communicate with clients once your proposal is accepted or when you`ve accepted an invitation for an interview. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran,

My Client asking me to keep Assign tasks through messages. They Said That they open a monthly contract with each freelancer while funding the first task. Everything else is accumulated in the Gantt chart then paid with a single milestone in the beginning of the new month. That is them way to work with poeple. 

Are they obliged to pay what was negotiated with everybody?? And is Upwork protect the agrrement in messages??

Hi Gamal,

In order to be eligible for our Upwork Payment Protection you will need to be hired on a official contract and fulfill the criteria required. Upwork Payment Protection consists of two sub-programs: Protection for hourly contracts and fixed price contracts and you can learn more about this in the guide above. 

To learn more about Upwork and how it works, you can check out our resources Here as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Gamal...

To be clear: Upwork's payment protection will not cover you at all in this scenario, because the milestone covering your work in one month won't be funded until the end of that month (assuming they ever fund it).

I, personally, would not agree to such an arrangement through Upwork unless I had very strong grounds to trust the client. It's essentially the same thing as if you were directly invoicing an off-platform client for a month in arrears. There are better ways of structuring the Upwork contract that lead to less risk on the freelancer side. My choice would either be a milestone per task funded in advance or, if that's too cumbersome, hourly.

Carefully look at the client's review history to make sure they have an established pattern of paying people. You're a new freelancer and thus a target for scammers. In this kind of arrangement, you could very easily do a month's work with no pay to show for it.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths