🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Upwork Payment
Page options
15a36f19
Community Member

Upwork Payment

Hi, I've been chatting with a client through telegram where i initially found in upwork. But the person didn't ask for upfront fee working with him but didn't want to proceed working inside the upwork platform. Is this considered a scam?

2 REPLIES 2
ArjayM

Hi Nurul Afrina,

Please note that any request for free work is not allowed on Upwork, and it is a violation of Upwork's Terms of Service. Also, a real client will never ask you to give them money to start working, cash a check for them, work for free, or provide your personal information.

I would like to let you know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork. We also encourage you to let us know if a TOS violation has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You aren't allowed to contact clients outside of Upwork or work for clients off of Upwork, regardless of whether you think it's a scam or not. Your account can be permanently banned. In case you're still tempted, you should be aware that many common scams will involve making you work for several days and then telling you that you need to pay a fee in order to link your bank account or some such nonsense. The scammers will continue asking for fees - insisting that you'll eventually get a refund and get paid - but they'll just steal your money and never pay you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths