🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Upwork Profiles - Past projects/work
Page options
Community Member

Upwork Profiles - Past projects/work

Hi everyone,

Can I view Upwork designers past logos/branding examples for previous clients before hiring? I can’t seem to find this feature.. thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
michael_skaggs
Community Member

When a freelancer sets up their profile, they have the option to include a portfolio. Whether or not you can see it from a search depends on their privacy settings, wich are

• Private (nobody can see their profile)
  • Upwork Users Only (only people with an Upwork Account who are logged in can see their profile)
  • Public

However, if they submit a proposal, you should be able to see their profile. So if they have a portfolio on their profile, it should be visible to you.

prestonhunter
Community Member

D H:

That's a great question. In addition to Michael's excellent tips, keep in mind that there are TWO KINDS of portfolio items in Upwork profiles:

- validated

- and unvalidated

Technically, it is possible for a freelancer to put ANYTHING into his portfolio. Most freelancers would never put anything into their portfolio that they did not create (or co-create)... But it is technically possible to do that with unvalidated portfolio pieces.

But if a freelancer did a project on Upwork itself, she can click a button to link her portfolio piece to that project. If the client grants permission, then this piece can be featured in her portfolio, and linked to her actual Upwork job. This is a validated portfolio item, and can provide far greater certainty that the project represents the freelancer's own work.

Preston H wrote:

In addition to Michael's excellent tips, keep in mind that there are TWO KINDS of portfolio items in Upwork profiles:

- validated

- and unvalidated

There is no such thing as a "validated" portfolio item.

Upwork does not, and does not claim, to "validate" them.

Preston H wrote:

If the client grants permission, then this piece can be featured in her portfolio, and linked to her actual Upwork job. This is a validated portfolio item....

No. The client does not have to grant permission, the client can't even grant permission. All it takes for the client not to actually object.

That in no way "validates" a thing. It just means the freelancer was paid by a client to do something, which may or may not be original work and may or may not be what is shown.

In most cases, of course, it is genuine.

What it *never ever* can be is "validated."

No such thing exists on Upwork.

mtngigi
Community Member

D H wrote:
Hi everyone,

Can I view Upwork designers past logos/branding examples for previous clients before hiring? I can’t seem to find this feature.. thanks!

You can ask to see samples of relevant work in your RFP. Aside from my portfolio, I typically attach samples relevant to the job post I'm bidding on. It's not a bad idea to run a reverse image search especially on logos. There are freelancers who do "help themselves" to other's work.

As Petra suggests, Upwork does not and cannot verify and/or validate works uploaded to portfolios. Take the time to do your due diligence before hiring.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths