🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Upwork TimeTracker App & W-2 vs. 1099
Page options
e71cf63a
Community Member

Upwork TimeTracker App & W-2 vs. 1099

Hi there,

I tried to download the Upwork App Time Tracker but it doesn't seem to be working. I use an iMac with macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6. Should it work with my version or if not, can you recommend something different for my version to track time?

Also, as a Freelancer, your clients hire me for hourly or set rate projects, correct? If someone hires me, do I have to work as their paid employee (W-2) or do I work as a contractor (1099)? How is this determined and set into motion. I have a client interested in hiring me for an hourly job but not sure how to have this conversation or if I make the determination or they do.

Thank you,

Shannon

14 REPLIES 14
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shannon,

Could you please share more information about the issue you're experiencing with the Desktop App so that we can assist you accordingly? 

If you're not filing as a company entity, you can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. Please note that the W-9 form is required for freelancers to be able to withdraw their earnings from Upwork. You will select what filing status you are filing for in the drop-down in your account settings under Tax Information. If you have any questions about your filing status, we advise you to contact your local accountant or tax advisor. You can also read this and this help article for more information about filing a Form W-9 with Upwork and Reporting Income from Upwork.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
e71cf63a
Community Member

Thank you. To confirm, I can be a paid employee (w-2) or a 1099 as a freelancer but either way will have to file the w-9 with upwork? Are taxes automatically taken out with the w-9? Also, how do I determine if I go the contractor or paid employee route once your client makes the offer? Do they determine that or me?

With regard to the issue with the desktop
App to track time, When I open the app it just goes in a circle over and over and won’t open it or load. I just wanted to know if the OS that I’m currently using supports this app or if I need to be using something else? If I need to be using something else, could you provide some recommendations that would work with my os version?

Thank you,
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shannon,

If you and your client agreed that you are an employee, you must be hired through Upwork Payroll. Your client will need to contact Upwork if that's how your relationship will be classified and our dedicated team will assist them with that. You will be able to find more information about reporting your income in this help article. Unfortunately, we can't provide tax advise and recommend that you consult with a tax advisor about your specific situation.

Regarding your Desktop App concern, please go to Settings>Connected Services on your account and disable Google Sign-In. Afterwards, please try to log into your Desktop app by using your username/account email address and your password.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
e71cf63a
Community Member

Great! That fixed it! Thank you. Now how do I find the time tracker? Also, do I use this app instead of through the website when I’m working for my client?

If I work as a contractor (1099) instead of a paid employee then how do we set that up through Upwork? Does your team assist my client with too? What do I need to do on my end?
e71cf63a
Community Member

Hello,

Could you please tell me how to start the time tracker in the desktop app once it is open?

Thank you,

Shannon

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shannon, 

I have merged all your threads since they are all related to you starting on Upwork as a new freelancer. 

Could you please tell me how to start the time tracker in the desktop app once it is open?

This help article details how you can log time on the Upwork Desktop App. Until you are offered a contract and you accepted it, the hourly contract will not be listed on your Desktop App. 

If I work as a contractor (1099) instead of a paid employee then how do we set that up through Upwork? Does your team assist my client with too? What do I need to do on my end?

I would like to clarify that Upwork is a platform that connects freelancers and clients to collaborate on projects. Unless you are being hired and classified as an employee by your client, the understanding is you are on Upwork as a freelancer to offer your business, and services to clients in the marketplace. We do have different products and services on the client account's end to help them post jobs, vet and hire freelancers, and send offers, and send payments to freelancers. 

I highly recommend that you check on the links I shared on my previous reply to help you have an idea of how Upwork can help you set up your freelancing business in the marketplace. If you have other questions that were unanswered by those articles, please don't hesitate to post on this thread so that our team and the Upwork Community can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork
e71cf63a
Community Member

Okay, thank you!
e71cf63a
Community Member

Hi there,

It has come to my attention that I have some concerns that a potential client wanting to hire me is a scam. Should they be asking me to call or text them direclty? I would like to be sure this is safe. Does UpWork have a team that looks into these types of things or are there some things I should be watchng out for? For example, asking me to call or text them directly. The client wants to get me started but hasn't discussed fees or if we will be doing a W-2 or 1099. 

Please advise on how to move forward.

Thank you,

Shannon

Communicating outside of Upwork is not a violation of the ToS. But when discussing terms it is always safer to communicate through Upwork, that way should anything happen, everything will be right there.

Do not start any work if you don't have a contract, the terms need to be specified in the contract so just tell them, you will get started as soon as you have a contract. Then you can discuss whatever you need to discuss before they hire you.

Do they prepare the contract and submit to me or do I prepare it?

If you have never worked with them before you can't propose a contract to them.

They have to make you an offer, if you accept the terms of the offer it becomes a contract.

Okay, thank you for explaining that, as it wasn’t clear to me how it worked.😊

Is there a formal process for this, for example, are they required to write up contract through UpWork and send it as an attacked file and then we both sign it?

Also, would they propose in the contract if they want me to be a paid employee or a 1099?
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shannon, 

It sounds like you are new to Upwork. On Upwork, we always recommend for freelancers not to start working unless the client sent an offer to the freelancer, the freelancer accepted the offer, the contract is showing as an active contract on the freelancer's My Jobs page, and the client's payment method is verified. These are minimum requirements for a freelancer to be eligible for Payment Protection.

I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork. Hopefully, the tips in the links I shared will help you familiarize yourself with how the website works. Let us know if you have other questions!

~ Avery
Upwork
e71cf63a
Community Member

Okay, will do!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths