🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Upwork Ubuntu app not working
Page options
aandis
Community Member

Upwork Ubuntu app not working

The app auto updated to version 5.3.3-883 today (04/30/2020) and since then the app does not launch. When I start the app, I see the three introductory slides in the app and then nothing.

This is what I see if I try to start it from the command line - 

$ upwork --verbose
(node:3468) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.
[3468:0430/020522.485048:ERROR:gpu_process_transport_factory.cc(1017)] Lost UI shared context.
[3520:0430/020522.507048:ERROR:command_buffer_proxy_impl.cc(130)] ContextResult::kTransientFailure: Failed to send GpuChannelMsg_CreateCommandBuffer.

Any help would be appreciated. Please fix this at a priority since this prevents users from working. While this is being fixed, can I download the older version from somewhere?

8 REPLIES 8
aandis
Community Member

I've tried reinstalling, restarting my pc and troubleshooting tips so I'm pretty sure it's the update causing issues.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Abhishek,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. Our team will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with the desktop app. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Upwork support was really unhelpful as they asked me reinstall the Mac version of the app. I doubt they even went through this thread. Could you please point me to the download link for an older version of the desktop app? This is preventing me from working.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abhishek,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. Could you please download our beta version and let us know if it worked for you?

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
aandis
Community Member

Is the beta app available for download for Linux? If I go to https://www.upwork.com/ab/downloads/os/linux/, the links for beta and normal app are the same.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Abhishek, 

I'll check this with our team and get back to you once we have more information. We appreciate your patience while we look into this.

~ Bojan
Upwork
timmarsh
Community Member

I uninstalled an old version and installed upwork_5.8.0.24_amd64.deb. It failed to get past the splash screen with a similar error:

undefined
(node:9831) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.
(Use `upwork --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)

(upwork:9831): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:42:23.725: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:1:62: Failed to import: The resource at “/com/ubuntu/themes/Yaru/3.0/gtk.css” does not exist
[9872:0131/124223.886007:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(377)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

I was able to get it to run by renaming  Home/.upwork to be Home/.upwork_deleteMe to make it ignore my old history. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tim, 

The Upwork Desktop App works best on Ubuntu 22.10 LTS 64-bit. You can try the troubleshooting steps here or download the beta version here. If the issues persist, you can directly file a support ticket or let us know here. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths