Did you mean: 

Upwork hour et al

Dhananjay D Member Since: Nov 17, 2016
1 of 11

Hello 

I have observed while applying for a job today, a message which goes "

You do not meet all the client's preferred qualifications

• Upwork Hours: 1"

I am bit puzzled at it as I have done 3 projects so far and all of them were for a fixed price. If this is the reason then I sincerely feel that this is unduly taxing for new comers like me. Please advise.

Besides, another obvious question is if the customers has placed order for a fixed amount, he liked the product delivered and he placed another order in the form of another milestone and this addition continues till date and the job order never closes, hence no rating for job and hence no possibility getting qualified for Top rated badge. Although all other conditions are met? your aguidance will be highly appreciated in these cases.

Thanks

DD

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

Don't worry about it!

You can still apply to jobs, even when you don't meet all the preferences.

3 of 11

Thanks Petra.

Regards

DD

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 11

Dhananjay, regarding your original question. you can meet the requirement of having completed 1 hour of work at Upwork by completing one hourly job that takes you at least 1 hour to do.

5 of 11

Hi John

Thanks for your comments.

I have completed fixed amount jobs and Upwork doesn't show any hours for such jobs which in way doesn't represent the fact.

Simple workaround in such cases could be a automatic way, where hours can be worked out for fixed amount jobs by

dviding the total income with Hourly rate. This way more representative information can be presented for a freelancer.

Thanks

DD

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
6 of 11

DD, countless freelancers, including me, have already asked Upwork and oDesk before it became Upwork, to credit hours on a freelancer's profile for fixed price jobs, and that hasn't happened. So it's useless in my opinion to be requesting such a feature, but I wish you success.

7 of 11

Dhananjay:

A fixed-price project may take ten minutes to do.

A fixed-price project may take 50 hours to do.

You can't directly equate fixed-price contracts to hourly work.

There is no formula that would work to convert one to the other. This is not going to happen.

Completing fixed-price jobs is a valid sign of experience for a freelancer. It's simply not an measure of experience which is directly equivalent to hours worked. Neither is actually better than the other. They're different.

Andrei G Member Since: Nov 26, 2016
8 of 11

@John D wrote:

DD, countless freelancers, including me, have already asked Upwork and oDesk before it became Upwork, to credit hours on a freelancer's profile for fixed price jobs, and that hasn't happened. So it's useless in my opinion to be requesting such a feature, but I wish you success.

Having been asked for before and not implemented yet is not sufficient reason to assume a feature will never be implemented.

In fact, I cannot think of a better way to obtain the said feature from Upwork (considering OPs' current position and status), other than by openly asking for it on the community forum and encouraging other members to request/support it, should they welcome it, which is the opposite of what you are doing, despite declaring you would (welcome it).

@Preston H wrote:

You can't directly equate fixed-price contracts to hourly work.

There is no formula that would work to convert one to the other. This is not going to happen.

The algorithm itself is not complicated at all: you divide the amount collected to the freelancer's hourly rate.

Of course, validation should be performed in order to prevent members from exploiting the algorithm. I'm thinking about setting a minimal hourly rate, based on the average hourly rate in jobs' category (or on average hourly rate of similar jobs), which should be available to Upwork.

9 of 11

Hello Preston,

Thanks, your point is absolutely valid and there is no right way to assess the actual number of hours which could be credited to freelancers account, as actual hours tend to vary significantly.

Nonetheless there could be other models like 

For a fixed price job, every addtion of US $ 15 earning,  an hour could be credited to freelancer's account, this is only to bring home the point, Upwork experts may decide on actual rates for an hours credit. This practice will also avoid any undue benefits to freelancers with very low hourly rates. 

To summarise my understanding, in the current system whether a freelancer earns $ 10, or $ 1000 for fixed price job, there won't be any hours credited to his account- and this flaw cann't be corrected because there is no perfect method available to fix it.

However, I am  very much hopeful that this can be fixed, if we look for a optimal solution than a perfect one. 

Thanks.

Regards

DD

10 of 11

Thanks Bro.

I am hopeful.

Regards

DD

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS