Did you mean: 

Re: Upwork's Charges, Legal Fees and the Unlicensed Practice of Law

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
51 of 61

Heather S wrote:

Apologies. I tried to attach using my cell phone....trying again. Smiley Happy 

** Edited for Community Guidelines **

Mods, to ensure that we don't run into further trouble, could you please clarify how Heather ran afoul of community guidelines by posting a link to a public record?

This is a critical topic of discussion for attorney users of Upwork, whose licenses to practice law may be jeopardized by the investigations stemming from this suit, so it would be very helpful to know where the lines are.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
52 of 61
Hi Tiffany, Heather and others,

Posting contact information for any purpose is against the Community Guidelines, so attachments and links that include it will be removed.

Thanks for understanding.
~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
53 of 61

Thanks for the quick response, Valeria. That's fair, and since those directly affected are all attorneys, they should have no trouble accessing a copy of the complaint directly from the Santa Clara County Superior Court if they're interested

One important point I discovered in reading the complaint is that there are actually 1,000 "Doe" defendants in this case, described as the other attorneys offering legal services through Upwork. That means a lot of attorneys working through the platform have already been sued, but don't know it yet because the plaintiff hasn't identified them by name or obtained contact information sufficient to serve them.

Michele R Member Since: May 1, 2019
54 of 61
That is really really dumb answer to her posting an open public record. What you are finally interested in legalities lol.
Heather S Member Since: Apr 9, 2019
55 of 61
Oh- sorry, Upwork.
Highlighted
Cedric S Member Since: Sep 26, 2017
56 of 61
Seems like they sued UpCounsel not Upwork.
57 of 61
The complaint I saw was for Upwork, but I suspect they have sued both.
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
58 of 61

The plaintiff law firm  in this matter appears to be extremely litigious and has sued quite a few entities over the last few  years.

59 of 61
Very much so!
Michele R Member Since: May 1, 2019
60 of 61
More thugalikes. Doing Good Business, the best most important most greatest law firm.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS