🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Upwork scared me.
Page options
hardeep_p
Community Member

Upwork scared me.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

@hardeep P wrote:

But the idea of working as a full-time freelancer intrigued me so much that last month I bid adieu to my job and with full enthusiasm, I started here.

And, is quitting my job and fully relying on Upwork was a mistake?

That was probably unwise...  Giving up a full time job to try and make a living on a platform before you have built up a client base offering services in a category where you'll struggle and which is dramatically oversubscribed was beyond risky.

You have a limited potential client pool, because the level and style of your English will put off the clients who have native or advanced English skills.

That leaves you with clients who don't recognize poor or awkward English, and the majority of those won't pay your rates.

So either you have to apply lots and get suspended again, or you have to apply for peanuts to the clients who don't need, or can't afford quality, or eventually, the ratings / feedback / JSS will get you.

So yes, quitting your job and fully relying on Upwork was a mistake.

Does Upwork suspend accounts for applying to too many jobs? This is surprising. Are you sure this was the reason? You get a limited number of connects and you may use them however you wish to.

@Michael W wrote:

Does Upwork suspend accounts for applying to too many jobs?

Yes and No.

If people are actually hired on Upwork from those many proposals, that's great.

People who apply lots and are not hired, or rarely hired on the platform are either not a good fit for the marketplace or are taking clients outside.

In either case it's best to remove them when most categories are already dramatically oversubscribed anyway.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Hardeep,

In order to prevent anyone from unfairly bypassing our guidelines, we cannot release specific information. Be assured that we do not take action based on isolated incidents of unsuccessful proposals. Only in the unusual case we find a freelancer has been repeatedy submitting many proposals but not winning jobs (or winning few) we take action.

You may  want to check out these articles from our Hiring Headquarters to help you create proposals that win jobs, and help you boost your career on Upwork:

17 Tips for Boosting Your Success on Upwork

How to Create a Proposal That Wins Jobs

~ Avery
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

and you probably scare potential clients. 

Wow, you have some passive-agressive language in your profile, Sir, please reconsider your wording. 

I would not want to hire you after you call me out on my "apathy", and I also don't like how you present yourself as the saviour. 

Very extreme language. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths