🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Use real name or a nickname?
Page options
j_khusro
Community Member

Use real name or a nickname?

Hi there, I'm completely new here and for some reason I just don't feel safe using my real name on my profile, because of past experience with scammers. Is it ok for me to use a completely different name? 

I also don't feel comfortable using my real picture but I do realise that I will get less work if I don't do that. There is all sorts of nastiness out there and I'd prefer to avoid it if I can! Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Sultan,

The comment you're responding to was published several years ago. There have been some changes since then and now all freelancer profiles will only show first name and second initial publicly by default. It is not possible to show full name publicly anymore. The clients you're interviewing or working with will be able to see your full name. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Khusro,

In order to comply with Upwork Terms of Service, you will need to use only truthful and real information about yourself including your name and your profile picture. That said, you can choose to display only your first name and your last name initial or even make your profile private in your Profile Settings. If your profile is private, only clients whose jobs you applied for would be able to see it.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you, I'll look into that.

Hi, how can I display my last initial only and not the whole last name? thanks

Hi Taf,

Please, go to Find Work> Profile and click on your name. You'll see a window where you'll be able to change the setting:

Screenshot_4.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you!

Why i can't  see that option qhen i press on my name ? What to display

Hi Sultan,

The comment you're responding to was published several years ago. There have been some changes since then and now all freelancer profiles will only show first name and second initial publicly by default. It is not possible to show full name publicly anymore. The clients you're interviewing or working with will be able to see your full name. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hi,

Please help me about this case.

My name is Md Sohanur Rahman Sajib.

I'm using Md Sajib on Upwork.

This is not that my name is fake, I'm just using my short name.

Can I continue using my short name?

If yes, then how can I transfer my funds to the local bank.

Waiting for the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Md, 

In order to successfully withdraw funds from your Upwork account, you'll need to have your legal official name on your account that matches the name on your withdrawal method. You can update your name in Settings> Contact Info.

~ Valeria
Upwork

hi  mam,

how are you doing ? i hope so your are doing well.

Please help me about  in this case.

My name is   md yousuf ali. .

I was using  morris a. lomali ( morris ali lomali which is my nickname )on Upwork.

recently i have changed it by my main name which is  md yousuf ali.

This is not that my name is fake, I'm just using my nickname.

am i did any kind of violations against upwork? 

Can you check my whole account am i did anything wrong or enything else? i am almost new on upwork. i need your help.plzzzz

i dont want to kick off from upwork .

Waiting for the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Md Yousuf,

You have to have only accurate information on your Upwork profile including your real name, location and details about skills and experience. Once you update your profile, please use this link to complete verification.

~ Valeria
Upwork

When communicating privately, my full name is displayed. How can you hide the last name and keep it just the initial?
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nerice,

Once you have accepted an invitation or an offer clients will be able to see your full name,  then your last name will be hidden. 
If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Is accepting an invitation and accepting a private message the same thing?
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nerice,

Can you share more details on what private message you`re referring to? 
When an invitation or an offer is accepted a message room will be create for you and your client, in this case clients will be able to view your full name.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Valeria,

I love most upwork's values in all freelancer sites because it is reliable, fast and friendly. Escrow time perfect unlike others!

I sent too much proposals within two months but I could get two jobs and I finished them very successfully. , A client from the USA and the other from England but they just living there. I work in many different areas from illustration to animation. But "nickname subject" is very serious.

My real name is Ibrahim. I see people come to name, not only to the skill. 

I have a hourly account with a nickname on another populer freelancer site. Everyday I'm taking job offering from USA, UK, Canada and Australia even my price is expensive. Yes they like my illustrations and animations but they trust more to my nickname not real name. OMG! This may be touchy!

You should review this topic as soon as possible. No doubt, this is a very sensitive matter:)

Kind Regards,

ibrahim **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hello!

Regarding the withdrawing funds from PayPal, is it possible, as an exception, to create a paypal account and link it to a family member`s debit card to use it for upwork? Would it be enough to just set the family member`s email address (which will be used for upwork) that will match the paypal`s account in this case?

It won`t be possible in my current situation to create a paypal account linked to my debit card and that`s why I`m hoping there to be some exceptions to it.

Thank you in advance!

Jaclin M wrote:

Hello!

Regarding the withdrawing funds from PayPal, is it possible, as an exception, to create a paypal account and link it to a family member`s debit card to use it for upwork? Would it be enough to just set the family member`s email address (which will be used for upwork) that will match the paypal`s account in this case?

It won`t be possible in my current situation to create a paypal account linked to my debit card and that`s why I`m hoping there to be some exceptions to it.

Thank you in advance!

Why all the secrecy?  If you want to work on Upwork, you will need a certain amount of visibility to begin with and all your accounts need to be in your real name.

You can have any nickname you like for your user name, but you have to have your own and verifiable name for everything else. Sooner or later Upwork will ask for identity verification.  

Hello!

By choosing to set my profile on priviate, would that mean that people who are not Upwork members (client or freelancer) can`t find me? 

Also, there has been mentioned that clients on upwork can`t find you unless you`ve applied for their jobs. Recently, I have been "found" by a prospective client, who is interested in collaborating with me. In this case, what would be the guarantee that I cannot be found by non-upwork members? 

Thank you! 

niag
Community Member

Just an additional point. I suggest that you read up on the forum and on the Upwork blog. Generally, it's not too difficult to recognize and avoid scammers here. It might be good to find out some of the warning signs and common giveaways so that you can protect yourself and ease your mind a bit too 😉

As a general principle, I don't think there is anything wrong with using a fake name or nickname or pseudonym on a website, or with using an avatar photo or no photo at all.

These are not acceptable options on Upwork, but there are other websites that allow you to do this.

If you don't want to us your real name or photo, then it makes sense to find and use websites where these "more private" and "less transparent" options are available.

No harm comes to Upwork freelancers because scammers can see their real names or see their photos.

I would suggest that the original poster's real name and photo are already online in many places, on various social media sites, websites, public information site, etc. I don't want to belittle his concerns, but I think he actualy has nothing to fear from having his real name and photo on Upwork.

Harm comes to Upwork freelancers when they make bad decisions and do things scammers ask them to do which violate either:

a) common sense

b) Upwork rules

or

c) both

You are right Preston, it's probably easy to find me elsewhere, however common sense is not always obvious sometimes. I guess I should do more of what Nia said and go read up on the tell tale signs, etc and what to look out for.

You can see a great list of tips and warning signs in this thread: Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs. The post was written by Lena, an Upwork community moderator.

That's not necessarily true.  
My last name is rather unique, and because of this I've not used it on most social sites.  
You can't find me on FB, nor my picture. 

Even in my Full time job most people call be my a nickname, because there are like 5 guys named Dave.  

Years ago I registered for a website with a fake name. I still get calls for investing in gold or buying solar pannels, with that name.  

More over, sometimes someone might want to start freelancing while working full time, and they might not want their boss to find out they're on upwork. 

“Simplicity is the soul of efficiency.” – Austin Freeman

I completely agree.  My name is unique as well and I try to be very careful about this aspect.  Why can't the front end allow for more privacy while the backend maintain transparency for tax purposes? 

j_khusro
Community Member

Thank you, I should do that, it's a good idea 🙂 

j_khusro
Community Member

Thanks Nia. I've looked through quite a few of the jobs posts and some of them really don't present themselves very well. I guess I should just avoid such posts as a general rule? I'll try and go read up a bit later.

re: "I've looked through quite a few of the jobs posts and some of them really don't present themselves very well. I guess I should just avoid such posts as a general rule?"

Different freelancers have different preferences regarding job postings that they apply to.

Some freelancers have become practiced in applying to and earning money from job postings which are vague or poorly written. But that's not for everybody.

Feel free to ignore any postings that don't meet your own personal preferences. Leave those jobs for others. There are plenty of freelancers on Upwork to handle the diversity of job postings that are available here.

Hello Preston,

I am new to Upwork and have already learned a lot from your feedback here.

Thank you!

Muhsin/Mike

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths