🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Using Time-tracker on fixed-term project afte...
Page options
sfalkens
Community Member

Using Time-tracker on fixed-term project after the work is finished

Hi, I am relatively new to Upwork, I just completed my second job.  The first was great. 

For the second job last night, I went ahead and did the work knowing there was an offer but I didn’t check the contract.  I accepted the contract after doing the work, and submitted to the client.

Now the client wants to see my time-tracker and I did the work without using it.  I didn’t think I needed to use the time-tracker because the job (like my first) was a fixed-term project, not hourly.

I went in and manually wrote descriptions of what I did at each stage of the project.  I sent him a message that I will discuss my work with him in a ten minute chat to go over the material.  He says he does not have time to chat with me but he wants me to “apply the track-change and send back the documents".   He wants to see all my edits to his document.  I don’t know how to do this, as the work has been done - there is no way to check through the history of my work.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wescowley
Community Member

If it's a fixed-price contract, there is no requirement to track time or to report to the client how long something took, unless you've agreed to do so.

As for the change tracking, if you used Microsoft Word, there is a function on the Review tab to compare the two versions of a document (the original and the revised) and produce a third, marked-up version.

In general, if you're making changes to a client's document, it's best to use always use change tracking. If they want a clean document, it's much easier to produce that from a marked-up version than it is to get the mark up from a clean version.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
wescowley
Community Member

If it's a fixed-price contract, there is no requirement to track time or to report to the client how long something took, unless you've agreed to do so.

As for the change tracking, if you used Microsoft Word, there is a function on the Review tab to compare the two versions of a document (the original and the revised) and produce a third, marked-up version.

In general, if you're making changes to a client's document, it's best to use always use change tracking. If they want a clean document, it's much easier to produce that from a marked-up version than it is to get the mark up from a clean version.

Thanks Wes, much appreciated!

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Sandra F wrote:

Hi, I am relatively new to Upwork, I just completed my second job.  The first was great. 

For the second job last night, I went ahead and did the work knowing there was an offer but I didn’t check the contract.  I accepted the contract after doing the work, and submitted to the client.

Now the client wants to see my time-tracker and I did the work without using it.  I didn’t think I needed to use the time-tracker because the job (like my first) was a fixed-term project, not hourly.

I went in and manually wrote descriptions of what I did at each stage of the project.  I sent him a message that I will discuss my work with him in a ten minute chat to go over the material.  He says he does not have time to chat with me but he wants me to “apply the track-change and send back the documents".   He wants to see all my edits to his document.  I don’t know how to do this, as the work has been done - there is no way to check through the history of my work.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks,

1. You always ask the client if he wants change tracking.

2. You never do any work before a contract.

Thanks, I will review the offer more carefully next time and ask the client if he/she wants tracking.  Great suggestion!

sfalkens
Community Member

This is really helpful, thanks.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths