🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Using a friend's US bank acct
Page options
077244cf
Community Member

Using a friend's US bank acct

Hello! I am rather new to upwork and I was trying to add a method of payment, however for whatever reason I seem to be unable to link my payoneer account. I was wondering if it was possible to link a US bank account that belongs to a friend. Perhaps if he adds me as a beneficiary on said account? 

Please keep in mind that I ask this because I have some terrible experiences with receiving a payoneer card in the past, the sheer amount of incompetence (for lack of a better word) can make the experience very upleasant. 

Lastly, do you think that perhaps I could open this new payoneer account linked to upwork, and send the funds to the account in which I already have a card with? is that possible? 

Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you are named as an account holder on a U.S. bank account then, yes, Upwork's payment withdrawal software will allow you to use that account as a withdrawal method.

If you want a PAYMENT method, used to purchase connects or pay freelancers, then you may use a credit card that you have permission to use, even if you are not a named account holder.

As for Payoneer, yes, Upwork allows users in qualifying countries to use Payoneer as a payment withdrawal method, as long as they are a named account holder. They allow this even if you had a prior unpleasant experience with Payoneer.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063988-Payoneer

Unfortunately I am not the primary holder on this account, it's a friend's.
How about transferring the money from my new payoneer to the old payoneer?

re: "I am not the primary holder on this account, it's a friend's."

Upwork doesn't care.

You don't need to be the primary or original account holder. You simply need to be an account holder, a named beneficiary.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063818-Direct-to-US-Bank-ACH

"When adding your bank information, the beneficiary name on your bank account must match your verified name on Upwork."

re: "How about transferring the money from my new payoneer to the old payoneer?"

You should be able to remove your old Payoneer account from Upwork and add a new Payoneer account.

The old payoneer was never linked to this upwork account, it's for another service I used to work with. Let me rephrase that: How about I send the money from my upwork payoneer to my non-upwork payoneer. Do you believe that would work? 

Also, thank you for answering my question about using my friend's bank account. That solves the issue.

re: "How about I send the money from my upwork payoneer to my non-upwork payoneer."

You would need to ask Payoneer about that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths