🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Using friend credit card to buy connects
Page options
tamimbinibrahim
Community Member

Using friend credit card to buy connects

I don't have any credit cards to buy new connects applying for new jobs. So, I decieded to buy new connects using my friend credit card. My friend is also a Upwork registered freelancer and he buys his connects regularly using his credit card which I am thinking to use. 

Will there be any problem if both accounts use same credit card to buy connects? Is there any chance to be banned? 

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tamim,

As long as the owner of the billing method authorized you to use it, you should be able to add it to your account. If any issues arise, Upwork team will notify you directly.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork allows freelancers to use someone else's credit card to purchase connects, as long as you have permission to use that card.

Could there be problems?

Well... possibly this could flag a security check... but you are not violating any rules. Because you and your friend are two distinct people who are using your true identities, you will be able to pass any identity verification checks.

Hello! I'm using visa card to buy connects and card owner is my father and I bought it! But I can't see updated connect on my account! Will this takes time?

Hi Brijesh,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your connects. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I'm waiting for solution!

robin_hyman
Community Member

Sounds fishy.  Why not use another method of payment?

Other than Paying with card the only option is to pay with Upwork balance. What if a new seller wants to buy connects? *Upwork does not accept Local Visa/Mastercard/Amex cards it has to be International Card. Fo an international card, User needs to have a passport and endorse it. A lot of paperwork and documentation needed for it and especially time. That is why is gonna use a friend's/parent's card. Not fishy, it's a common thing here.

Hi Shihab,

I would just like to add that you can also consider using PayPal in order to purchase Connects. You can check out all of the available Billing Methods in this help article.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tamim,

As long as the owner of the billing method authorized you to use it, you should be able to add it to your account. If any issues arise, Upwork team will notify you directly.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
68dd3f4c
Community Member

Does  Upwork hold my account if I do not buy connects or I will not bid on any project? 

Hi Tahir,

Your account will not be suspended for not sending proposals. You may want to check out this help article for more information about Freelancer Violations and Account Holds. Let us know if you have further questions. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello can i use my  debit card to buy connects as i on't have any credit card

Hi Varun,

Thank you for your question. Upwork accepts Visa, Discover, Mastercard, and American Express debit cards. We do not accept virtual cards or gift cards. Prepaid cards may be used to purchase Connects, but not membership plans. To learn more about adding a debit card to your account, click here.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Bojan Sir 

I want to use my cousin's master card but it's not working what can I do now I am so worried about that.

Hi Muhammad,

Please know that in order to add someone else's billing method to your account, the owner of the billing method needs to authorize you to use it. Please contact the card-issuing bank for more information about the specific charge decline. You can also check out this help article for more information about available Billing Methods that might work for you.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
asadali123123
Community Member

Hello Tamim, 

Yes absolutely you can buy connects by using your friend's credit card, but make sure first to ask your friend to use his card, his willingness is compulsory,  Welcome to Upwork, Its good to see you on this beautiful platform 🙂

2c019f79
Community Member

Can I use somebody's else credit card for receiveing my income from Upwork? Or the Upwork account name and  credit card's name should be the same? If it legal to use somebody's else credit card for receiving payment from Upwork, should I contact Upwork before doing it?

Hi Marzi, 

It's not actually possible to use a credit card as a payment method on Upwork. In addition, if you wish to add any payment method, it must be under your name or you must be authorized to use it. You may want to check out this help article to learn more.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
haroonhusnain
Community Member

Can I use someone else's debit card to purchase a membership plan?

Hi Huma,

Thank you for your message. Please know that in order to add someone else's billing method to your account, the owner of the billing method needs to authorize you to use it. You can also check out this help article for more information about available Billing Methods that might work for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
c051bb27
Community Member

Does this still applies?

Hi Mercy,

If you're referring to the OP's query, yes! In order to add someone else's billing method to your account, the owner of the billing method needs to authorize you to use it. You can also check out this help article for more information about available Billing Methods that might work for you.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths