🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Using personal phone
Page options
jodie85
Community Member

Using personal phone

Hi, I am new to UPWORK and there is a job I am applying for that requires phone calls to be routered through to my personal phone number. Is this safe and is there any implications like phone chargers from my personal provider etc that I need to be weary off?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
michael_skaggs
Community Member

Most systems are just taking the calls to the company number and forwarding them directly to you. The only charge I can see you incurring would be using up your minutes if you don't have an unlimited plan.

Although forwarding calls to your personal number is a rather janky way of going about it, and can be incredibly annoying if the forwarding isn't turned off when you're not on-shift, or when you're done working for them. Might be a good idea to setup a Google Voice number or something, let them have THAT one, and just be logged in on your computer with a headset on. Then when you log out, you know you won't be getting calls when you're not supposed to be.

And if you want to be super cautious, make sure all your passwords on your personal account are set properly, and contact your provider about a "port-out" block, which prevents your number from being changed to another provider without you specifically calling to authorize it. IIRC, most providers can do this, but it's been a while since I worked for one.

Honestly, if they want to forward calls to your phone instead of provide you with a phone to use, they might be more hassle than they're worth.

This is my second day of using UPWORK so I’m trying to figure out what is and isn’t acceptable or worth it in that matter. You’ve definitely given me some food for thought. Thankyou.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths