🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Using up my Connects on scams
Page options
jfsteelman
Community Member

Using up my Connects on scams

I don't understand about not using my connects in submitting proposals. I have used up most of mine and I think most of them have been scams. I have had requests for Google Hangouts and Skype interviews and had my bank info requested. How can I protect myself and not use up all my connects?

4 REPLIES 4
louisaj
Community Member

It's a tough one. My advice would be to look at the previous jobs completed by that client. If they have a few and the reviews look OK, then they are probably safe.

If they have no previous jobs completed, have unverified payment under their name, loads of typos in the job description...run. Yes, they may be legitimate, but do you want to risk it?

So, just take a few minutes to look at the previous job history of the client. After a while, you get a better feel for the good clients.  

I've never been invited to a Google Hangout in my entire time here, but I've heard they target the newbies a lot. 

Yes i am new to Upwork and was also invited to Google Hangouts. 

Rupmanjari S wrote:

Yes i am new to Upwork and was also invited to Google Hangouts. 

Simply being invited to a Google Hangout isn't a crime.  Many clients like to communicate with freelancers off the platform.  The crime is when they ask for personal information or offer to pay you off the platform.  Just be careful!

robin_hyman
Community Member

Julie S wrote:

I don't understand about not using my connects in submitting proposals. I have used up most of mine and I think most of them have been scams. I have had requests for Google Hangouts and Skype interviews and had my bank info requested. How can I protect myself and not use up all my connects?

Hi Julie,

Welcome to Upwork!  As a newbie (and teacher), Upwork offers a ton of articles on how to get started, how to spot red flags, etc. There is also an abundance of materials on this forum if you search properly.  Here is one: 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Tips-to-avoid-scam-jobs/td-p/253215

Clients will post jobs and not hire anyone.  Others post jobs to entice new freelancers like yourself to apply only to trap them into providing bank information (good for you not to fall for it!).  It's up to the freelancer to decide whether or not to apply.  

Here are some things I look at before submitting a proposal:

* The client's hire rate - > 50%

* Clients previous feedback (both given and received)

* # of proposals submitted - I tend to apply to jobs with no more than 20

Do your due diligence, be optimistic and work smart!  Good luck to you!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths