🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » VA: Client is refusing to count 3 hours of wo...
Page options
nairaz94
Community Member

VA: Client is refusing to count 3 hours of work as billable

I am a virtual assistant and deal with the client daily on Upwork messages according to his own wishes, yesterday he messaged with me for around 3 hours of time spread over the day about me updating him and answering questions, now today after seeing his 3 hours he is saying that there are only 10 mins of work that he actually gave me and the remaining is just discussion. He has refused for me to use the Upwork tracker and has me add in the hours manually. Is escalated is Upwork going to help me or is that a waste of time?

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Shaheera Iqbal Z wrote:

is that a waste of time?

It's a waste of time.

Manual time is not protected.

Shaheera Iqbal Z wrote: He has refused for me to use the Upwork tracker and has me add in the hours manually.

There is no such thing. The client can't prevent you from tracking time.

chillynguyen
Community Member

If someone refuses me for using the Upwork tracker, I think he has an evil scheme, since he knows that the freelancer won't be protected in those manual hours.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Shaheera Iqbal: Just stop working for this client.

You don't need to to work for preposterous people.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You need to set your own boundaries and not expect Upwork to manage your clients for you. Assuming that you want to keep working with this client, tell him that if he wants to discuss anything with you, he'll need to schedule a time instead of sending you messages throughout the day, and that you'll have the time tracker turned on during your conversation. During your conversations, open Word or similar and take notes so that you'll have relevant screen captures and sufficient activity levels; when your conversation is finished, send him a copy of the notes. You will not be using manual time at all. If the client doesn't agree to this, say that you're sorry but you'll be unable to continue working with him, and close the contract yourself.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths