🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: VAT (Belgium)
Page options
missrosaly
Community Member

VAT (Belgium)

Hi there,

I just had my VAT number and I plan to input it on my Upwork account soon and change my bank account details in my “get paid” at the same time, I’m curious if all my previous earnings will be declared by Upwork also or not really? Will it be only the new earnings? I’ve read that Upwork won’t charge VAT anymore if you provide a valid VAT number that’s why I pursue to get one.

Oh, another concern is about the invoicing. Normally in real situation, I should provide an invoice so I will get paid right? How does it work with Upwork if I’ll input my invoice?

Hope someone can help. Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rosaly,

It's optional. Upwork won't charge VAT to anyone who has provided a validated VAT number but will charge VAT on the services to freelancers and agencies within the EU unless they provide a valid VAT number. You can find more information here.

When a client hires and pays a freelancer on Upwork the payment is first released to the freelancer's Upwork account. Then the freelancer can withdraw their earnings to their chosen withdrawal method. That said, the contract is still made between the client and the freelancer and the invoice is sent to the client on the freelancer's behalf. Here is a help article for reference.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, I got this message from Upwork and that my VAT is not approved but there is no reason stated. I just got my VAT number and company number was already published since yesterday by the CBE (Crossroads Bank Enterprises). Can you please tell me what’s the reason of disapproval? Maybe a specific reason would clarify my concern.

Hi Rosaly,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to help you with adding your VAT number.

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Rosaly V wrote:
Hi there,

I just had my VAT number and I plan to input it on my Upwork account soon and change my bank account details in my “get paid” at the same time, I’m curious if all my previous earnings will be declared by Upwork also or not really? Will it be only the new earnings? I’ve read that Upwork won’t charge VAT anymore if you provide a valid VAT number that’s why I pursue to get one.

Oh, another concern is about the invoicing. Normally in real situation, I should provide an invoice so I will get paid right? How does it work with Upwork if I’ll input my invoice?

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

VAT is a transactional tax that is charged on any goods and services, it has nothing to do with your earnings. You will still have to pay income tax on your earnings, depending on your other income, expenses, and all other considerations in your jurisdiction. 

909aeeb5
Community Member

Hi, I'm facing the same issue where my VAT number is not being accepted. I've already verified on the VIES website that the format is correct

Hi Rohail,

We saw your post in the community and converted it into a support ticket to give it the attention it deserves. Rest assured that one of our agents will be reaching out to you.

Thank you!

~ Muhammad
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths