🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: VAT Validation
Page options
balazstechnolynx
Community Member

VAT Validation

My EU VAT number has been rejected, but without explanation of how could I provide more information. I have had a number of guesses I tried to make it work, but so far to no avail:

1) Changed the company's legal name to its full Hungarian name (the first version ending in Ltd has also been correct legally, since in my country I could also specify a legal English name)

2) Tried to add country code before VAT code, apparently it was implicitly there already

3) I talked to the bot, it pointed to VIES as the means of verification UpWork is using, I tried it, and no surprise, my VAT number is in their system and is valid

Additionally I did get some comments from the bot w.r.t "If you submit a tax ID for a business, you must provide us with a document showing you own the business for VAT to be approved." which I certainly did not do, but neither did anyone asking for it before rejecting my VAT number. If I were having a support ticket, I could file documents there, but apparently I cannot even open a support ticket without first making my concerns public in the forum. I hope you understand if I don't disclose such information in a forum post.

33 REPLIES 33
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Balazs, 

You can check if your VAT number will be validated on the VIES website here. If your VAT number was declined it was likely because:

• The country on VAT ID doesn’t match the country on your Upwork profile
  • The name on VAT ID doesn’t match the name on your Upwork profile
  • Your VAT ID is expired
  • Your VAT information was entered in an invalid format (check correct format for your country)

You may read more about it here. If this doesn't resolve your issues, let me know so that I can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

No, it doesn't apply, I can easily find my number on VIES and the company name and the country (HU) is matching too, could you please help me?

Hi Balazs,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your VAT number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

I’m having the same issue. Could you please ask someone to get in touch?

Many thanks

Alexis

Hi Alexis,

Of course, our team will reach out to you as well and assist you further with your VAT. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello,

My problem is the same.

I added to my profile a valid VAT number, but you did not approve it earlier despite it was always correct. Just you did not find it on VIES website, because you checked it in a badly way: you added wrong country code to my VAT number: you added "IT" insted of "HU". Unfortunately you issued more invoices with VAT to me despite my VAT number was correct.

I sent you an email, Carlo answered it and at that time it turned out.

I asked Carlo to correct the VAT on invoices billed to me, but he wrote, that you will not correct the old invoices.

I have to send the VAT return to the tax authority now, but I do not want to pay the VAT amount once again.

I think it is unacceptable that you made a mistake and despite it you did not correct the invoices.

Who could help me?

Thank you.

Hi Marianna,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble this caused. I'll go ahead and follow up with our team regarding your concern and you can expect one of our agents to reach out to you directly via support ticket as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork
maurogue
Community Member

Hello,

i verified my identity and relation with my business by still i can't get my VAT ID Validated in any format.

Can you help me please?

Thx

Mauro

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mauro,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with your request.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
49a161d3
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

I have the same issue as the others above.

Can someone set up a support ticket please.

Thank you.

Nikki

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nikki,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with adding your VAT number.

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi there, looks like this is a very common problem, I'm having the same issue.  My VAT is showing up on the VIES but not being accepted by Upwork.  Can I get some assistance please? 

Thanks,

Jake.

Thank you for reaching out to us, Jake.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with adding your VAT number. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hello,

I have the same issue.
I resubmitted the Vat 5 or 6 times now and provided a document of proof for my business name when selected the billing method.
The chat bot wasn't helpful unfortunately.

I am waiting for your response.

Have a great day!
Bety H.
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bety,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with your concern. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

I'm having the same issue.  My VAT is showing up on the VIES but not being accepted by Upwork.  Can I get some assistance, please? 

Thanks,

Jelle.

Thank you for reaching out to us, Jelle.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you with adding your VAT number. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi,
I do have the same problem. I found the faq referring to VIES but my country profile, name, format, and number itself are valid.

This thread suggests that there is a problem in your acceptance system - I never had a problem with having a client using my vat number so far. Upwork rejected it 4 times or even more 😕

Thank you for the support,

Hi Quentin,

I have requested the assistance of our team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

I just got in the same situation, my tax id is validated on the vies website but not on my Upwork profile. It keeps getting rejected for some reason. I would need some assistance with this, please. 

Hi Cristian,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and will assist you further with your VAT number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran, 

I have the same problem. My tax number is valid on VIES but I can't update it on Upwork. 

I tried 2 times but unfortunately, I can't add (BG) in front of the 10 numbers requested. And I don't see where I can upload proof for the number to be verified. 

Can you please help me resolve this issue? 

Hi Simona,

One of our team members already reached out to you directly via this support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hello,

I have run into the same problem. Can you open a ticket for me as well?

Thank you,

Bianca

Hi Bianca,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
biskyt
Community Member

Hello,

I have the same problem. My VAT is valid (used VIES website validation), I'm register as a Freelancer in Spain with my name and I am using the very same name here. Can you help me please?

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Serena,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,

I have the same issue as stated above, vat number is correct but on my business name, i submitted the proof of owning the business when validating the bank account/payment details. Please help

Br Marcus

Hi Marcus,

We truly appreciate you reaching out to us. I have checked your account and It looks like a support ticket is already created to address your concern, and a Customer Support team member will be getting in contact with you through that ticket.

You can check here or your email for further details and assistance.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ilie_cristian
Community Member

Hi! The state just replaced my business's VAT ID and I have resubmitted it to Upwork. How can I validate it until the next round of bills? I would need some assistance, please. Thank you!

Hi Christian,

I have escalated your concern to the appropriate team for further review. We'll update this thread as soon as we received a response from the team. We seek your patience and utmost understanding while sorting this out for you. Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

I appreciate it! The code just got rejected. I can provide paperwork and proof. I would really need this to be sorted by Friday when the next round of bills will roll out. Otherwise, my accounting will get messed up... Thank you! 

Hi Christian,

I can see that you've reached out to the relevant team and raised a ticket with the same concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ Arjay
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths