My EU VAT number has been rejected, but without explanation of how could I provide more information. I have had a number of guesses I tried to make it work, but so far to no avail:
1) Changed the company's legal name to its full Hungarian name (the first version ending in Ltd has also been correct legally, since in my country I could also specify a legal English name)
2) Tried to add country code before VAT code, apparently it was implicitly there already
3) I talked to the bot, it pointed to VIES as the means of verification UpWork is using, I tried it, and no surprise, my VAT number is in their system and is valid
Additionally I did get some comments from the bot w.r.t "If you submit a tax ID for a business, you must provide us with a document showing you own the business for VAT to be approved." which I certainly did not do, but neither did anyone asking for it before rejecting my VAT number. If I were having a support ticket, I could file documents there, but apparently I cannot even open a support ticket without first making my concerns public in the forum. I hope you understand if I don't disclose such information in a forum post.
You can check if your VAT number will be validated on the VIES website here. If your VAT number was declined it was likely because:
- The country on VAT ID doesn’t match the country on your Upwork profile
- The name on VAT ID doesn’t match the name on your Upwork profile
- Your VAT ID is expired
- Your VAT information was entered in an invalid format (check correct format for your country)
You may read more about it here. If this doesn't resolve your issues, let me know so that I can assist you further.
My problem is the same.
I added to my profile a valid VAT number, but you did not approve it earlier despite it was always correct. Just you did not find it on VIES website, because you checked it in a badly way: you added wrong country code to my VAT number: you added "IT" insted of "HU". Unfortunately you issued more invoices with VAT to me despite my VAT number was correct.
I sent you an email, Carlo answered it and at that time it turned out.
I asked Carlo to correct the VAT on invoices billed to me, but he wrote, that you will not correct the old invoices.
I have to send the VAT return to the tax authority now, but I do not want to pay the VAT amount once again.
I think it is unacceptable that you made a mistake and despite it you did not correct the invoices.
Who could help me?
I'm sorry to hear about the trouble this caused. I'll go ahead and follow up with our team regarding your concern and you can expect one of our agents to reach out to you directly via support ticket as soon as possible.
Thank you for your patience.