🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » VAT declaration
Page options
jacobsiverskog
Community Member

VAT declaration

Hi!

I'm selling services through Upwork to several difference clients in the EU.

Who should I add as the recipient of the services in the quarterly VAT declaration? Upwork? Or the real clients that I've done the services for?

Upwork only works as an intermediator, right?

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
NikolaS

Hi Jacob,

Upwork is an online platform that brings freelancers and clients together. As our membership and activity have continued to grow in the EU, assessing VAT is an important element to continue providing services there. VAT is applied to the Upwork service fee, premium Upwork memberships, and purchases of Connects. The tax is collected by Upwork and remitted to the respective EU government. We remit the VAT payment we collect to your government through the Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) mechanism instituted by the EU.

VAT is shown on your invoices, which can be found under Reports    Transaction History.

You can find more information about VAT in this help articlePlease know that we cannot provide specific tax advice, so we recommend that you consult your local tax advisor with specific questions or for more details on how this may affect your business.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi Nikola!

Thank you for your answer!

It doesn't answer my question though. What about the transactions between the clients and the freelancers? Should I tell my government that I'm selling services to Upwork? Or do I sell services to the clients using Upwork? Which VAT should I declare? Upworks? Or the clients?

Thank you in advance.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths