🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: VERY VERY NEW HERE AND I THINK I AM GETTI...
Page options
929d4474
Community Member

VERY VERY NEW HERE AND I THINK I AM GETTING SCAMMED

So last August 10, 2023, I created an account here in Upwork hoping I could get a part time job so I could pay for my cancer patient aunt's hospital and medication bills. In my search, I came across a posted job about a copy writing or a very simple data encoding job. I proposed my proposal and after a few hours the said employer contacted me if I'm interested in the job and to contact him through telegram instead. I didn't suspect it first because like I've said I am very new here so I didn't know what to do or was just hoping that upwork has already done verifying its freelancers and clients' verification especially to posted jobs. So going back to the situation, we actually talked with the said client/employer and he asked if what skills do I have that fits among the options he handed me over, most of it are transcribing or translation job since there are different languages in the options, so I just picked the data typing and PDF Conversion skills since those were the skills I am familiar and have experienced with. Seems legit to me because as we exchanged informations he really did explain the job/tasks and even asks what other concerns I have. Fast forward, I got the job and he sent me images/ scanned imaged of a pdf file, he wanted me to retype the texts out of the images. The contract that he gave me has Plan A-D, which has corresponding No. of pages and its duration of project, such as Plan A 30 pages for 3 days ($ 1200), Plan B 55 Pages for 6 days ($1,800), Plan C 85 Pages for 12 days ($2800), and Plan D 130 Pages for 15 days ($ 3500). I was starstucked with payment! How dumb right? I KNOW!!! So he suggested I should get the Plan A and that's how I got the job. Now, as I have proceeded with the project I was almost done with the encoding and I did even asked his assistance in some of my concerns that the file he sent me would need some proofreading, and so he agreed to let me proofread the file, as I went through reviewing the contract I have read that there would be a "FEE" needed for an ID in order for their management or company to identify me as their outside service agent, I asked him about it and that he said it is deductible from the project payment. I started suspecting it might be a scam because of the fee so I researched the company name "

**Edited for Community Guidelines**" , the company actually exists however I found out through their blogs and reviews that there are already complaints from freelancers here in upwork claiming that there are individuals posting a job in upwork using their names and scammed them through making them send money in order for the PROJECT PAYMENT to be wired to their accounts, saying that the payment could not be transferred to the freelancer because it would need ADDITIONAL MONEY for charge fee!!! I was left there dumbfounded that I am really a gullible person! Like I spent sleepless nights to finish the tasks and it turned out to be a scam!!!! I really don't know what to do and my efforts are long gone, I am really really disappointed. I am just good to good being honest with finding a part time job for my family and there's this kind of people who have a lot of free time scamming people. BE CAREFUL EVERYONE! RUN BEFORE IT'S STILL NOT TOO LATE! Luckily I didn't wired any money at all 'cause I have one but a cent in my account so still blessed!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
759e32fa

Hi Sheena,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad you did not wire them any amount and caught on to their scheme.

We highly suggest reviewing our ToS, reading these tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, and this post from our Community member, Wes, about top red flags for scams for you to keep yourself safe in the marketplace. Should you also encounter any suspicious user activity again in the future, please send us a flag so the dedicated team can review it and take action as soon as possible.

~ AJ
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
759e32fa

Hi Sheena,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I'm glad you did not wire them any amount and caught on to their scheme.

We highly suggest reviewing our ToS, reading these tips on how to avoid questionable jobs, and this post from our Community member, Wes, about top red flags for scams for you to keep yourself safe in the marketplace. Should you also encounter any suspicious user activity again in the future, please send us a flag so the dedicated team can review it and take action as soon as possible.

~ AJ
Upwork

Thank you for your tips. Gladly appreciate your concern

luqman_mak
Community Member

I recommend this thread to everyone, it covers many common scam techniques and is a great start to protecting yourself from having these issues:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate your help.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths