🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Validating a possible employer
Page options
eggersarah
Community Member

Validating a possible employer

I have a possible employer who wants to interview via FB messenger, is that a scam!?
4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

@sarah E wrote:
I have a possible employer who wants to interview via FB messenger, is that a scam!?

Quite possibly, maybe not necessarily.

Provided you don't start working until there is a contract on Upwork under "My Jobs" and don't send any money for nebulous permits or agree to deposit any (fake) checks ...

Real-Job-Or-Scam.jpg

I can't find the original job posting that I had submitted a proposal on, and I want to re-read it. I'm being asked to submit work on a trial basis, which is fine. However the employer wants to leave the Upwork platform and do the interview over FB messenger, I'm worried this is a scam. How can I find thd original job post so I can see how long they've been a member of Upwork, and if their payment method has been verified!?

@sarah E wrote:
I can't find the original job posting that I had submitted a proposal on, and I want to re-read it. I'm being asked to submit work on a trial basis, which is fine. However the employer wants to leave the Upwork platform and do the interview over FB messenger, I'm worried this is a scam. How can I find thd original job post so I can see how long they've been a member of Upwork, and if their payment method has been verified!?

It is a scam and don't do work on a trial basis - ever - without being paid. If you can't find the original post, Upwork has probably delisted the job and closed that particular account. If this person has contact with you outside Upwork (email, FB etc.) do not have any more to do with him or her, or give their  FB deets to FB and to Upwork. 

ETA: Read this thread https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460 and all the links, but particularly "tips to avoid questionable jobs". You should also familiarize yourself with Upwork's terms of service and terms of use. 

It sounds like a scam. 

I was contacted by some one yesterday wanting to interview me on google hangouts and offered me an eCheck to deposit into my bank account. I did not fall for it and reported it to upwork.  It was a scam

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths