🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Very fishy client.
Page options
mm169254xx
Community Member

Very fishy client.

Hi I have a question.

I got an invitation from a client. As far as our conversation have gone, I dont think this is legit and all.

My question is, anyway I can delete my resume link in our conversation?

I feel like this could be a scam even.

What do you guys think? Because, I don't know, this could be fraud or something.

Please shed some light on this, cause I wanted the job too.

Cheers.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
colettelewis
Community Member

@Mark Angelo M wrote:

Hi I have a question.

I got an invitation from a client. As far as our conversation have gone, I dont think this is legit and all.

What do you guys think? Because, I don't know, this could be fraud or something.

Cheers.

You could give us a few more details, but briefly: if the client wants your bank details, wants you to accept a check, wants you to buy equipment, or wants a Googlehangout  interview, it is 99% a scam. 

If it's none of these things, then refuse the interview anyway and ask CS to check out the job before you accept it. Your instinct is probably telling you true.

ETA: Even if you have accepted the invitation, this does not mean that there is any contract, so you are not committed to anything. Just tell the client you are no longer interested in the job, and move on. Unfortunately, we are not able to delete invitations we have answered, but you can hide it. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
colettelewis
Community Member

@Mark Angelo M wrote:

Hi I have a question.

Cheers.

You could give us a few more details, but briefly: if the client wants your bank details, wants you to accept a check, wants you to buy equipment, or wants a Googlehangout  interview, it is 99% a scam. 

If it's none of these things, then refuse the interview anyway and ask CS to check out the job before you accept it. Your instinct is probably telling you true.

ETA: Even if you have accepted the invitation, this does not mean that there is any contract, so you are not committed to anything. Just tell the client you are no longer interested in the job, and move on. Unfortunately, we are not able to delete invitations we have answered, but you can hide it. 

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mark,

I checked the conversation on your end but since part of the conversation was done outside Messages, please take a screenshot of that conversation and send it to me in a pm. Unfortunately, the message was sent more than an hour ago and you can't make any edits or remove the attachment you've shared.

Please review these safety tips in the meantime.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Actually that was the only conversation I had with Jenny, specifically.  We communicated purely in Messages.

Everything else there's ok.

I guess it's just weird then. I'll take the advise I guess,

I was just unsure. So going further with the conversation won't hurt I guess unless the "scam factors" not met

Hi Mark,

Could you please pm me the details you found suspicious so I could advise you further?

~ Vladimir
Upwork

PM sent Vladimir.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Mark: the Upwork messenger tool lets you edit any message you send. It lets you delete them. It lets you delete links that you send. It lets you delete files that you send.

As long as you do so promptly.

Apparently there is a 1-hour time limit during which such edits can be made.

Thank you. Will keep that in mind from now on.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths