🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Visibility
Page options
galdorik
Community Member

Visibility

Greetings to the Upwork Team

I registered with Upwork a few months ago and would now like to use it on a regular basis. I have sent several proposals in the past few weeks, but have never received any response to any of them.

I am wondering if there could be an issue with my account, or if perhaps there is something I am not doing right? Any tips in order to improve my visibility to clients would be most appreciated.

Best Regards
Manny

11 REPLIES 11
k_witherspoon
Community Member

I have 39 proposals out without one response.

I am a 25 year pro with a strong portfolio and a lot of high level experience.

I think Upwork has become a place for lower level creative projects.

Hi Kendal,

Thank you for your prompt response; I appreciate you sharing about your own experience and frustration with Upwork.

Since I am still new to this game and platform though, I want to hope that what you wrote is not entirely true, although I suppose it very well could. For the time being I am watching webinars and reading tips on the Upwork website to attempt gaining experience on how to be more visible, as well as improve my understanding on how to market myself at best.

Here are some of the things I have found, which perhaps could be of use to you too: 
https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-freelancers/17-tips-for-boosting-your-success-on-upwork/
https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-freelancers/how-to-create-a-proposal-that-wins-jobs/

https://www.upwork.com/hiring/for-freelancers/submitting-a-winning-proposal-on-upwork/

- Look for the following webinar: "Building your own business on Upwork"

I hope that you will find value in some of these links, and that you will end finding quality work and build solid relationships with clients on Upwork.

Thank you
Manny

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Manny,

Your profile visibility was set as private which I just changed back to public and you will now appear in search results.
Please keep in mind that freelancer in search results are showed on a rotating basics so that everyone has a fair chance to be discovered. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Thank you for your response.

That is really surprising as I checked my entire account prior to writing the message you just answered, and I can guarantee that, at least on the page I could see, my profile visibility was clearly already set to "public"; this is confusing, but thank you anyway.

The information you shared about search results is a key point, thank you. I wish you could share more in this respect, namely: what is the exact rate of this rotational basis, for how long can a member stay visible or hidden to clients prospecting? Are there resources you can send me so I can look into it? Your answer will matter as, for instance, if I know that I am in a "hidden period", I might put some extra effort and time in sending more proposals.

I look forward to your reply

Best Regards
Manny

Hi Sir,

I have the same problem. They set my visibility to private because of not earning money for 30days. I constantly work and never missed any week without earnings.

My profile view went significantly low and I haven't received any interview request for the last few months.

I hope you can help me, too.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jane,

Your profile visibility is set to public. If you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for your response.

Can you let me know why I'm receiving this message?

"We have received your request and will email you as soon as your profile is "public" again. Please allow up to 3 business days. Thanks for using Upwork!"

goriyaz
Community Member

Hello Manny,

I've started my journey on Upwork on november. So far, I've managed to be hired for 18 jobs. I'm 40 y.o., I'm graduated (BAC+5 here in France) and with a lot of experience(s) but I've chosen to begin here acting like a newcomer, i.e. accepting some poorly paid jobs, and above all, with humbleness.

I forgot the fact that 4 months ago, I use to earn 2500€ for a part-time freelance job outside Upwork. I had to forgot that. It's a new beginning.

My hourly rate the first weeks was 10$. After a bunch of contracts, I rose it to 15$ and gradually until 25$. I'm still a beginner here and I learn some tips every day but yet, It's really hard to find new jobs. It's been two weeks for me since my last new contract. But I've been hired by former clients so it's still encouraging.

Therefore, don't expect to be a "rockstar" in two shakes of a lamb's tail but try to think like a challenger. You have your portfolio, then work hard on your cover letters and perhaps, ask for less money the first times (no lowball but with realistic expectation)

Good luck.

galdorik
Community Member

Thank you very much for your answer and the information you shared, Yazid, it is most appreciated.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Manny C wrote:

Greetings to the Upwork Team

I registered with Upwork a few months ago and would now like to use it on a regular basis. I have sent several proposals in the past few weeks, but have never received any response to any of them.

I am wondering if there could be an issue with my account, or if perhaps there is something I am not doing right? Any tips in order to improve my visibility to clients would be most appreciated.

Best Regards
Manny

There is much discussion on the forum about invitations, the order of search results, etc, but I think that's completely overrated. The important thing is the jobs you apply to, and the proposals that you send. Here it is also immaterial if your profile has been set to private due to inactivity, the clients will be able to access your profile through your proposals.  

So which jobs are you applying? You are not a native English speaker, so don't apply to any that require it (or expect it without explicitely stating it, because this is an English speaking platform). You will certainly have a French accent, even if you think you don't, so you should be concentrating on voice-over in French. Probably not tons of jobs in that area, I don't know. Or the rare case where they need English with a charming French accent... 

Hi Martina,

Thank you for your answer.

The advise and tips you give are all legit and relevant, although you shared them with a lovely candidness (which you are probably not aware of), assuming that I am a complete novice 🙂 

But I am not. I took the time to weigh the pros and cons of each job I have applied for thus far, and I am plainly aware of my limitations, strengths as well as what the industries I work in (which include not only the Voice Over realm but also the "Translation field", so to speak, as well as the Music industry) are in search for and need of. In this respect, you are perfectly right: being a French-speaking VO Artist (with a French accent indeed) in an English-speaking environment does limit you to a specific niche, and most of the work I usually get where I live (Cape Town) is in French, not in English. 

Anyway, thank you again for the time you have taken to share some thoughts.

Best Regards
Manny

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths