🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Volunteering for the Experience
Page options
virtualveracity
Community Member

Volunteering for the Experience

I'm wondering if I am allowed to offer to do a job for free? I'm like 3 days old on this site, paralegal student who is a week shy of being a certified virtual assistant, and 7 years out of the rat race, so to say I'm a bit nervous and more than a bit rusty would be an understatement.

During my job hunt I have come across a job posting or two that seemed within my scope of expertise and either related to my career or my recent certification, and thought to myself "I wouldn't mind doing that just for the Xp." 

Is this allowed or does it break some Freelancers Code. 

Thanks for answering!

2 REPLIES 2
JoanneP

Hi Dionne,

Please know that it is against Upwork ToS to offer to work for free. You can find more useful information and advice on the freelancer resources we have compiled here to help you get started on Upwork. If you have any questions, please let us know. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Dionne A wrote:

I'm wondering if I am allowed to offer to do a job for free?

It would be silly as you'd not even get feedback, and freelancers offering to work for free are hurting the entire marketplace. 

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Please know that it is against Upwork ToS to offer to work for free. 

No, it isn't.

It is against the ToS for a client to ask for free work. It is not against the ToS for a freelancer to offer to do so. Maybe it should be but it isn't.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths