Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W-8BEN And Bank Account Name

Highlighted
Osama M Member Since: Apr 20, 2017
1 of 4

Hi,

I am Osama Tashfeen Mughal, I am From Pakistan, I am a student who just started to work as a freelancer.
I am not sure about what is W-8BEN.

I have downloaded the form from IRS but dont know where should I submit that form ?

My legal name on Passport is Osama Tashfeen.
And Address on my Passport is different from where I am living right now.
But on Upwork I added my current Address where I am living right now and this address is permanent.

Secondly I have a joint Bank Account with my Father, So do I need to create another bank account to match the name with my Upwork account name or Is there any other way ?
Because my Account name is this "Osama Tashfeen and Muhammad Tashfeen".

Please reply ASAP
Thanks.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 4

Hi Osama,

You don't need to download W-8BEN form from the IRS site. You can complete it on Upwork site by going to Settings> Tax Information. You can use your legal name as it shows in your passport or any other official document.

As for your second question, as long as the bank account has your name on it, you should be able to use it to withdraw your funds even if it's a joint account.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Osama M Member Since: Apr 20, 2017
3 of 4

Thanks Valeria.

Yes I have my name in Joint Bank Account, I also asked upwork to change my Name on Upwork to Osama Tashfeen from Osama Mughal. My Full Name is Osama Tashfeen Mughal.

And what about address ? Will this be ok ?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 4

Yes, that should be okay, Osama. You should use the address where you are currently residing.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled