🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » W-8BEN Tax form
Page options
dmlittle
Community Member

W-8BEN Tax form

Hello all. Even after reading through dozens of other forum posts about this W-8BEN tax form I'm still confused. I live in Bermuda so I literallly have no experience whats so ever in regards to filling out tax forms. Filing for taxes is not necessary here. I see under the Tax information section of my account in regards to the W-8BEN form I can just type my legal name right in Upwork's website and that I am already classified as non US under the  Federal Tax Classification. Do I actually need to go outside of the Upwork network to find this form online and fill it out? Then actually file it with the United States. Or will entering my name right on upwork's tax information page be suffice to get my earnings when I actually have them?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

David,

You just need to complete the fields in your Settings> Tax Information page and click Save. Could you please go to that page, click Edit and make sure all fields are completed and the box is ticked? 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JoanneP

Hi David, 

W8BEN is a form that confirms you are not a U.S taxpayer.

To provide Upwork with your Form W-8BEN information:

• Click Settings, and then click Tax Information.
  • Provide us with your legal name and address.

Please check out this help article for additional information. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
dmlittle
Community Member

Thanks for the reply Joanne,

I unterstand what the actual form is, what I am uncertain about is if I actually have to source the blank form on the internet, fill it out then submit it as a document to the United States Tax system.

thanks 

David,

You just need to complete the fields in your Settings> Tax Information page and click Save. Could you please go to that page, click Edit and make sure all fields are completed and the box is ticked? 

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Upwork

Ok, Done deal!

Thanks for the help ladies, much appreciated! 

Hello!

Do you know what I have to write in my tax information <Name of Business> field? this field is required in order to complete my w-8ben form. Do I just have to write my name or register the business itself in my country? I don't get it. 

Thank you in advance

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ailana,

You can list your full name in the Name of Business field, you don`t have to open a company in order to fill out he W8-BEN form. If further help is needed let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
caa7812c
Community Member

Hi all

How to select"Federal Tax Classification",I am not in USA,select"individual"?

look forward to receiving quick relply.Thanks.

Best regards.

Lara

Hi Lara,

Thank you for your message. If you are not associated with a business, you can update your Federal Tax Classification as an 'Individual'.

Thank you,

Pradeep 

Upwork
caa7812c
Community Member

Hi Pradeep

Noted,I have selected as"Individual",thanks so much.

Best regards.

Lara

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths