🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » W-8BEN & Canadian Freelancer
Page options
redsandscreative
Community Member

W-8BEN & Canadian Freelancer

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can help with the W-8BEN! I'm wondering how it is shared with Canada or its purpose?

I am a Canadian Freelancer. I've never heard of the W-8BEN and my accountant says its more or less just a form that allows UpWork to not withhold X amount of taxes due to me being a non U.S Citizen. 

Is this form shared with Canada? I do not have a registered business.

3 REPLIES 3
JoanneP

Hi Brendan,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately. Please check this help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
mo_rahim
Community Member

Since the note says " provide the same name as per your tax return" below the legal business name prompt, Do I have to have a registered business in Canada? What does tax return refers to, the US or Canada? Do I have to fill the w8ben paper from the IRS website? And then submit it to Canada's revenew agency? Please advise.

Hi Mo,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings.  Kindly follow the steps below to provide Upwork with your Form W-8BEN information:

• Go Settings  Tax Information
  • Provide us with your legal name and address
~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths