Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: W-8BEN form

Highlighted
Active Member
Theodoros K Member Since: Jun 20, 2018
1 of 7

Hello,

 

 

I filed a W-8BEN (as a non-U.S. person) form through Settings > Tax Information but when I try to withdraw my earnings it is stating that I should complete a W-9 form ("In order to withdraw earnings, please complete a W9 Form."). What should I do?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 7

You are living in the US so I believe you need the W-9.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7
@Theodoros K wrote:

I filed a W-8BEN (as a non-U.S. person) form through Settings


 Your profile says you are in Worcester, United States...

 

 

Highlighted
Active Member
Theodoros K Member Since: Jun 20, 2018
4 of 7

I am a student at a U.S. university. I am not a permanent resident.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 7

@Theodoros K wrote:

I am a student at a U.S. university. I am not a permanent resident.


 That's great. Do you have a full work permit or a visa that allows you to work in the USA?

 

Highlighted
Active Member
Theodoros K Member Since: Jun 20, 2018
6 of 7

I have a student visa (F1). I tried filling out a W9 form but it asks me for a social security number. However, I don't have a social security number (for now at least).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
7 of 7

@Theodoros K wrote:

I have a student visa (F1). I tried filling out a W9 form but it asks me for a social security number. However, I don't have a social security number (for now at least)

You may well not be allowed to legally work on Upwork and might even be jeopardizing your visa and your studies.

Before you do anything else, call your immigration officer and get legal advice.

 

In general, F1 without a work permit only allows you to work on campus.

 

View solution in original post

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS