🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: W-8BEN form
Page options
theok0001
Community Member

W-8BEN form

Hello,

I filed a W-8BEN (as a non-U.S. person) form through Settings > Tax Information but when I try to withdraw my earnings it is stating that I should complete a W-9 form ("In order to withdraw earnings, please complete a W9 Form."). What should I do?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Theodoros K wrote:

I have a student visa (F1). I tried filling out a W9 form but it asks me for a social security number. However, I don't have a social security number (for now at least)

You may well not be allowed to legally work on Upwork and might even be jeopardizing your visa and your studies.

Before you do anything else, call your immigration officer and get legal advice.

In general, F1 without a work permit only allows you to work on campus.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

You are living in the US so I believe you need the W-9.

petra_r
Community Member

@Theodoros K wrote:

I filed a W-8BEN (as a non-U.S. person) form through Settings

Your profile says you are in Worcester, United States...

I am a student at a U.S. university. I am not a permanent resident.

@Theodoros K wrote:

I am a student at a U.S. university. I am not a permanent resident.

That's great. Do you have a full work permit or a visa that allows you to work in the USA?

I have a student visa (F1). I tried filling out a W9 form but it asks me for a social security number. However, I don't have a social security number (for now at least).

@Theodoros K wrote:

I have a student visa (F1). I tried filling out a W9 form but it asks me for a social security number. However, I don't have a social security number (for now at least)

You may well not be allowed to legally work on Upwork and might even be jeopardizing your visa and your studies.

Before you do anything else, call your immigration officer and get legal advice.

In general, F1 without a work permit only allows you to work on campus.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths