cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W-8BEN tax information for Indian citizens living in India?

sushil_verghese
Sushil V Member Since: Jun 4, 2017
1 of 33

Hi,

I'm new to Upwork. The site mentions that if you are not a US person you have to supply your W-8BEN tax information in order to get paid. Does this hold true for Indian citizens living in India (Bangalore)? If so, where will we get this information from and is there an Indian equivalent?

I have currently linked my bank account for direct deposit using my IFSC code. Will I still need to submit W-8BEN or just pay my taxes here in India?

Please help.

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 33

@Sushil V wrote:

Hi,

I'm new to Upwork. The site mentions that if you are not a US person you have to supply your W-8BEN tax information in order to get paid. Does this hold true for Indian citizens living in India (Bangalore)? If so, where will we get this information from and is there an Indian equivalent?

I have currently linked my bank account for direct deposit using my IFSC code. Will I still need to submit W-8BEN or just pay my taxes here in India?

Please help.

That form is for non-US citizens, Sushil.  If you click on "Settings" under your profile picture, you'll be re-directed to a page where you get to provide your legal name and address (which must match with your bank account details so as to avoid future payment problems).

W-8BEN does not imply that you are a taxpayer.  Choosing to register as a taxpayer is the call for a few I think.

sushil_verghese
3 of 33

Hi Juvy Ann, 

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have added my legal name and address that correlates with my bank information. However, I am still required to choose between 'I am not a US person' and 'I am a US person'. Currently, I have selected 'I am not a US person' as I am an Indian citizen living in India. However, on selecting 'I am not a US person' I still see the message, 'Before withdrawing funds, all non-U.S. persons must provide their W-8BEN tax information.' Am I to disregard this? 

I only ask because when I do receive a payment I don't want this to become a complication in releasing funds. 

Could you please confirm that I will definitely not be required to submit W-8BEN tax information?

Thanks for the assistance.

Sushil

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 33

Hi Sushil, 

You just need to fill in the form with your legal name, and your address and submit the form. That should notify the system that you are not a US citizen. 

If you've tried doing this and the prompt still shows (after several tries), let me know so that we can check your profile.

~ Avery
Upwork
sushil_verghese
5 of 33

Hi Avery, 

Tried many times. It's still showing. PFA screenshot.

nagpalg
Gautam N Member Since: May 17, 2018
6 of 33

From Where will I get this form?

Thanks!

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 33

Hi Gautam,

Please go to your account and select Settings > Tax Information and add your full, legal name and address in the appropriate fields on the page in order to complete the W8 form. You can read find more details here.

Untitled
kvshrimali1702
Krunal S Member Since: May 3, 2021
8 of 33

It says Legal Business name on the form. 

Am I supposed to enter my name or do I have to have a business and enter that business's name. 

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
9 of 33

Hi Krunal,

You can enter your full legal name in that field as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
vin005
Vinay V Member Since: Mar 29, 2019
10 of 33

Thanks Avery, 

But where do i fill this form the one on Upwork just asking for my legal name thats it or do i hire my local tax professional and submit it to him or my direct bank account which i have updated here?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS