🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: W-8BEN
Page options
codingham
Community Member

W-8BEN

Hi there! I would like to find out about the 'legal name' part of the W-8BEN form, I do not have a legal business name as I am a freelancer, how do I go about dealing with this? Could I use my full name?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Tristin,

You should use your full legal name as shown in your government-issued documents and on your Upwork account.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tristin,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately.

To fill in the form, please type-in your legal name, and address that matches your Upwork account. You may read more information about the form here.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Could I use my full name?

Hi Tristin,

You should use your full legal name as shown in your government-issued documents and on your Upwork account.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

If I don’t have any business, is my name and surname written in my passport will work?
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vladimir,

Yes, you can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
a9038d90
Community Member

Thanks a lot, this helps.

Hello there!

I've just created an Upwork account.

I've filled out Form W8-BEN on the IRS website and saved it as PDF. Do I have to upload it here somewhere, or will it be enough to just type my address and legal name in 'Tax information' section? Thank you in advance! 

Hi Zagorka,

To complete the W-8BEN Form, please go to Settings  Tax Information, and kindly provide us with your legal name and address. Here's the help article for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
nyarie13
Community Member

Thank you

Could you please help me understand whether I have to fill in anything or not, because when I am enter tax information it is written already "N/A - Non-US". Well, is this enough or I am still expected to fill in any form? Help 🙂

Is there anyone who can check my profile to let me know whether I have completes all the requested info. Because I have done the job but can't figure out how to have those money on my account and what is important how to withdraw it? Please help!!!!

Hi Liana,

Looks like everything was filled out accordingly. Once the funds are available on your account you should be able to withdraw them. To view in what stage your earnings are go to Reports > Overview. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi! Could you please advise where shall I get w-8ben form?

Hi Liana,

To fill out your W-8BEN form follow the steps below:

• Go Settings  Tax Information
  • Provide us with your legal name and address

To learn more about this, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
copyslayer
Community Member

Hi there,

I'm also confused about this W-8BEN form thing. I've filled it in on UPWORK but it's unclear whether that is all we have to do or if we need to actually fill in something else first. From what I've understood a W-8BEN is a complicated and official legal form, but I can't see where you get one. 

It seems like it's far too easy to just put in the name that appears on my passport as that is not the name of my business. Doesn't this need to link back to me so that I can fill in a tax return? If so how do I register to pay Tax in the US, I hadn't realised I would have to pay tax in two countries for my earnings. But I do want to be legal.

Feeling confused!

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. Once you file your Form W-8BEN, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately.

While all freelancers submit their information for Form W-9 (U.S.-based) or Form W-8BEN (international) to Upwork, Upwork doesn’t send freelancers Form 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC, either. We do file a Form 1099-K when applicable (to freelancers who are U.S. Persons and receive over $20,000 with more than 200 transactions through Upwork). The point is that we handle it so you don’t have to.

You can check this help article to learn more.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths