🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » W-8BEN
Page options
rose-nathalie
Community Member

W-8BEN

Hi, 

I have few questions regarding the w-8BEN form :

I am an individual, living outside the US, i live in mauritius to be more specific.

1. When I want to fill the tax part on yr website, they aske me for the egal name of my business. However, I am an individual, and I do not have a business, so should I put my name there instead?

2. Should I actually downoad the W-8BEN form and fill it. If yes, where do i upload it on your website after?

3. If i have to fill it, I have few question: 

On the form : number 6 :  do i need to provide my tax account number from my country there?

Number 7 : I could not find infomation for that

Part 2, number 10 : I could not find anything on the IRS website about specificities about my country Mauritius. How do i fill this?

Thanks a lot for your help.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nathalie,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. 

For your business name you can enter your full legal name as well.

To fill out your W8 form go to Settings > Tax Information.

Please consult a local tax professional to determine whether your freelancer earnings are taxable. U.S. persons are required to file a Form W-9.

If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Nathalie,

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. 

For your business name you can enter your full legal name as well.

To fill out your W8 form go to Settings > Tax Information.

Please consult a local tax professional to determine whether your freelancer earnings are taxable. U.S. persons are required to file a Form W-9.

If you have any additional questions let me know, thank you!

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths