cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W8-BEN Form

mominaht
Momina H Member Since: Aug 23, 2016
1 of 15

I do not have any earnings outside Upwork. Which means, tilll yet I have not been a taxpayer. And I have just started working here as a freelance. How am I supposed to fill the W8-BEN form then?

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 15

Hi Momina, 

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. You will only need to provide your legal name and address on the W-8BEN form, and once you have filed it, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

v3ktohhh
Victor O Member Since: Nov 4, 2020
3 of 15

Thanks for the solution.

Please from where can I get the W8-BEN form, and where do I submit it after completion? Does it need official personnel?

andregutierrez22
Andrea G Moderator Member Since: Jul 7, 2020
4 of 15

Hi Victor,

You can submit your Form W-8BEN by going to Settings > Tax Information. Click the pencil icon next to W-8BEN, fill in your information and Save, that's it!

Please let us know if you need any further assistance,

~Andrea
Upwork
v3ktohhh
5 of 15

That's all for now, Thank you so much

v3ktohhh
6 of 15

I am not a US taxpayer, neither am I residing in the United States nor have I been there, does that mean I'm not eligible to fill the form and get paid on Upwork? If so, what do I do about this? and if not, is the form still needed?

djondinium
Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
7 of 15

Hi Victor,

You can go to Settings > Tax Information and fill out the W-8BEN form to confirm you're not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
v3ktohhh
8 of 15

Ok thanks, I don't have any businesses, so please what do I put in the name of businesses input-box of W8-BEN Form?

luiggi_rosado
Luiggi R Moderator Member Since: Jul 3, 2020
9 of 15

Hi Victor,

In that case, you should use your own legal name to fill out that field. Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
v3ktohhh
10 of 15

Much thanks to all of you who've been sharing solutions, I do, however, have one final question, to be really sure about my position on Upwork; So if I'm not a US taxpayer, don't stay in America, and don't have any businesses or agencies, I can just fill out My Legal Name and Address to become eligible to withdraw funds from Upwork? Please reply

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS