🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: W8-BEN Form
Page options
mominaht
Community Member

W8-BEN Form

I do not have any earnings outside Upwork. Which means, tilll yet I have not been a taxpayer. And I have just started working here as a freelance. How am I supposed to fill the W8-BEN form then?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Momina, 

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. You will only need to provide your legal name and address on the W-8BEN form, and once you have filed it, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Momina, 

The Form W-8BEN is a form used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. For record-keeping purposes, Upwork requires a Form W-8BEN for all non-U.S. taxpayers paid on Upwork. You will only need to provide your legal name and address on the W-8BEN form, and once you have filed it, the system will activate your eligibility to access funds immediately.

~ Avery
Upwork
v3ktohhh
Community Member

Thanks for the solution.

Please from where can I get the W8-BEN form, and where do I submit it after completion? Does it need official personnel?

Hi Victor,

You can submit your Form W-8BEN by going to Settings > Tax Information. Click the pencil icon next to W-8BEN, fill in your information and Save, that's it!

Please let us know if you need any further assistance,

~Andrea
Upwork
v3ktohhh
Community Member

That's all for now, Thank you so much

v3ktohhh
Community Member

I am not a US taxpayer, neither am I residing in the United States nor have I been there, does that mean I'm not eligible to fill the form and get paid on Upwork? If so, what do I do about this? and if not, is the form still needed?

Hi Victor,

You can go to Settings > Tax Information and fill out the W-8BEN form to confirm you're not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Ok thanks, I don't have any businesses, so please what do I put in the name of businesses input-box of W8-BEN Form?

Hi Victor,

In that case, you should use your own legal name to fill out that field. Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
v3ktohhh
Community Member

Much thanks to all of you who've been sharing solutions, I do, however, have one final question, to be really sure about my position on Upwork; So if I'm not a US taxpayer, don't stay in America, and don't have any businesses or agencies, I can just fill out My Legal Name and Address to become eligible to withdraw funds from Upwork? Please reply

Hi Victor,

I would like to confirm that you are correct. You can use your own legal name and address as it appears in your passport or other official documents.

~ Nikola
Upwork
mpaytuvi
Community Member

Hello I need helpp with this. I just provided my name and address and I can not receive any earnings yet. What should I do ? 

Hi Michelle,

I checked and it looks like your location is set in the U.S. All freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork (all others should file a Form W-8BEN).

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
dba85e6a
Community Member

Hello, in my tax information it only appears the W8 form to fill, is it the same thing as W8-BEN?

Hi Gisele,

Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, it is the same. You may want to check this help article for more information. 

Let us know if you have further questions. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
vin0007
Community Member

Where do i submit or to whom do i submit my W-8BEN form ? and what is that W-8BEN certification you guys have mentioned i cannot take the certification as its not in the test list. 

i have already submitted my legal name and clicked on non - us person what else must i do ? please help me.

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vinay,

In addition to the information, Avery shared you can check out this Help Article to learn more about this form.  Under the Legal Name tab you will need to add your full legal name, if you have any additional questions let me know, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths