cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

W9 tax information

Patricia B Member Since: Jan 2, 2017
1 of 17

Hello:
I'm new to Upwork.  Am I able to begin working before I complete my W9 information? 

Thank you,

Patricia Braun

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 17

Hi Patricia,

You can start bidding on jobs and can even work on contracts before completing your W-9 form. However, you won't be able to withdraw your earnings before you complete the form.

~ Valeria
Untitled
3 of 17

Hello Valeria:

Thank you for responding to my request.  I'm just a bit unsure about entering my social security number on the site for security reasons.  Just want to be sure Upwork is a secure site.

Thank you,

Patricia Braun

4 of 17

Patricia,

Rest assured your personal information is secure and is only used to comply with U. S. tax regulations. You can find more information here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
5 of 17

Thank you for your help.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 17

re: "Thank you for responding to my request.  I'm just a bit unsure about entering my social security number on the site for security reasons.  Just want to be sure Upwork is a secure site."

You are wise to be cautious.

You do NOT need to supply your social security to Upwork if you decide to not work as a freelancer here.

But I supplied my social security number a couple years ago, and it was definitely worth it!

I can tell you Upwork is secure, it is serious about security, and it is a real way to earn money for people who have skills and put some effort into learning the system.

Take as much time as you'd like to silently read through the Community Forum posts. Those of us who participate here are real people, earning real money. There are sites out there which are scams and shouldn't be trusted. Upwork is the real deal.

7 of 17

Thank you for your response Preston.  From what I can see, Upwork IS the real deal.  I have changed my opinion and will complete the W9 information.  I'm excited to get started as a freelancer here and look forward to participating in these community forums.  Take care and have a great day!

Patricia

Victoria S Member Since: Jul 3, 2017
8 of 17
Sorry for butting in. But, I'm new here, I'm gonna hop into this conversation, just to make sure I understand it correctly:
I can bid on jobs, and work through upwork. But, the money will be held by upwork, until I fill out that form?

The issue I'm having is: I'm really tight on money(its a situation of: I eat, or I get this other thing I need or I get that other item I need).

My city clerk told me that I didn't need a tax number, unless I was making large sums of money (I'm a fine artist, a jewelry, clay and pyrography artist as well- so what money I make is small amounts here and there). I'm only on disability, at the moment.
And want to either try and supplement that by working through up work. Or to be able to stop the disability benefits all together.

I can't afford to get a business license and number until I start making money here.

If I know I have the money here, I can ask someone to lend me what I need, to do that.

Then I can pay that person back.

But- how long will they hold the money, waiting? I don't know how long it would take to get the tax number....
9 of 17

Hi Victoria,

You'll need to complete your W-9 form in order to withdraw your earnings from Upwork and you may want to do it sooner rather than later as Upwork isn't able to keep money indefinitely. Please, fill the form under your Settings> Tax Information on Upwork. You'll need to enter your name, address, SSN and other information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Zachary S Member Since: Dec 1, 2018
10 of 17

It's not allowing me to put in my SS number for some reason, even though i have put it in the right format. Any ideas on what's wrong?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS