cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

startup query

Jason D Member Since: May 15, 2016
831 of 1,380

Hey guys, how do I set it up so that I can get daily notifications emailed to me when a new job is posted in my category? I have all the email check boxes checked but I only get messages when people reply to me. It would be great to get new jobs emailed diretly to my inbox for specific categories.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
832 of 1,380

Hi Jason,

You can set up an RSS feed to be notified about new jobs being posted. Please, see this article for more information.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Lee D Member Since: May 15, 2016
833 of 1,380

Would you mind taking a look at my profile and giving any tips? I have been in my field for 10 years and have a degree. Just struggling with that first gig. Following most of your tips as is, and have taken quite a few tests. 

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
834 of 1,380

You're in a really glutted field so you're going to have to find a way to stand out.  You've really got to specialize in order to rise to the top on Upwork.

You have almost too many skills listed in your profile.  You have experience with upper tier tech support so you could focus on that, and highlight your MS Access admin skills secondarily.  I'd change your headline to Technical Support only, and get rid of Google Docs and MS Office skills because everyone has those (or say they do).

You've also listed presentation design so you could add work that you've done to your portfolio.  That always helps.

That's just my two cents and you should take it for exactly that.  Play around with your profile and see if it helps at all.

Ace Contributor
Stephen M. K Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
835 of 1,380

Naomi/Valeria--------

Fantastic post!!   However, on your following line, does this mean that if you withdraw your application, you get your 2 connects back or something?  Did not understand the line.

"If a client is not responding to my application after a couple of weeks, I withdraw that application so I can apply to another job."

836 of 1,380

@Stephen M. K wrote:

Naomi/Valeria--------

Fantastic post!!   However, on your following line, does this mean that if you withdraw your application, you get your 2 connects back or something?  Did not understand the line.

"If a client is not responding to my application after a couple of weeks, I withdraw that application so I can apply to another job."

No, you do not get your connects back. 

Highlighted
Mahnoor S Member Since: Jun 17, 2016
837 of 1,380

I recently joined the upwork community.

How do I ensure I get a job and get started with it as early as possible?

some beginners' tips?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
838 of 1,380
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
839 of 1,380

@Andreas H wrote:

Hi, I'm also new here and mainly want to concentrate on translation jobs(German-English and vice versa).
I am very confident that I have the necessary skills , however it seems I can't complete my profile without adding work history, which I don't really have, I'm a university student but I have never actually worked as a translator, should I just add any job that remotely proofs that I have an eye for detail and know how to write or how German/English writing should look like?
Also I'd be happy about any other suggestions/improvements you have on my profile(I know the photo is a bit gloomy but I didn't have any more recent ones on hand).

There is one issue on your profile : I primarily offer high quality English-German and German-English translations

It's unlikely to be true. But it's understandable that you think it's true since you don't have any experience nor education in translation.

What your profile suggests is that you are offering symmetrical translation between English and German. People who can do this may exist, but they are extremely rare and professional translators never claim they do symmetrical translations.

This is because translation entails way more than knowing two languages. The ability to express oneself in a language and a perfect command of the language's subtleties are skills that native speakers have, those were raised with this language and who use it every day. This is you, with German.

Few speakers of a foreign language can reach the same perfect knowledge of a language as native speakers. This is why a translator should only translate to their native language.

And the first skill for a translator is not the knowledge of their source language. It's their writing skills in their native language. 

I strongly suggest that you either take some translation classes, or that you start to volunteer for charities. The best thing would be to find a mentor, a seasoned translator who could provide you with guidance and check your work.

Once you have some real skills (and not only: I am very confident that I have the necessary skills), then you can come here and start competing.

Or you can start competing tomorrow. And get burned.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Leader
Alan H Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
840 of 1,380

@Rene K wrote:

@Andreas H wrote:

Hi, I'm also new here and mainly want to concentrate on translation jobs(German-English and vice versa).
I am very confident that I have the necessary skills , however it seems I can't complete my profile without adding work history, which I don't really have, I'm a university student but I have never actually worked as a translator, should I just add any job that remotely proofs that I have an eye for detail and know how to write or how German/English writing should look like?
Also I'd be happy about any other suggestions/improvements you have on my profile(I know the photo is a bit gloomy but I didn't have any more recent ones on hand).

There is one issue on your profile : I primarily offer high quality English-German and German-English translations

It's unlikely to be true. But it's understandable that you think it's true since you don't have any experience nor education in translation.

What your profile suggests is that you are offering symmetrical translation between English and German. People who can do this may exist, but they are extremely rare and professional translators never claim they do symmetrical translations.

Once you have some real skills (and not only: I am very confident that I have the necessary skills), then you can come here and start competing.

Or you can start competing tomorrow. And get burned.

Wow, you were tough on this guy, but helpful. Any client would be disappointed to get a translation that "proofs" his competence.  His English was almost flawless, but "almost" isn't good enough in translation.

Kudos, Rene.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS