cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you You reminded me of

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
1221 of 1,389

Gary C wrote: He didn't say it was his impression.

Really?

I must be hallucinating then. I see him writing "I" repeatedly.

Renee S Member Since: Dec 13, 2015
1222 of 1,389

I believe Preston was assuming the persona of a potential client when he used the first person perspective.

Community Leader
Gary C Member Since: Oct 7, 2015
1223 of 1,389

See - it's interesting isn't it?

I didn't get the impression thet Preston was "talking" as him. I got the impression that he was talking as a client.

I may be wrong - and maybe Preston is a raving, mysoganistic terror - but I don't think so - I think he was just giving an opinion on a profile and photo that someone had asked for.

I would wholehartedly agree with you if I thought otherwise but Preston was just trying to help here - like we all are ...

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
1224 of 1,389

Petra, I don't mind you speaking your mind, but you are simply incorrect here. My post represents a very real perspective. It is in no way insulting to suggest that the contractor consider this. The contractor claims to be a customer service worker and virtual assistant, but her photo does not picture her as such.

And yes, I would have said the same thing about a man who introduced himself in his profile overview text as a father and husband and pictured himself in a car.

Think about it:

Why would I hire a customer service representative or virtual assistant who is in a car when I have a dozen other candidates who (based on their photos) are not in a car, and half of them can be seen actually sitting in comfortable, quiet settings in front of computers while wearing professional quality headsets?

The contractor said she would love to work with "serious business owners." Presumably this target clientele is interested in hiring serious virtual assistants. Will members of her target audience judge a contractor based on their photo? Yes, as do we all, whether or not we regard it as polite or appropriate to admit it.

I think you may be confusing my advice as some sort of ideological treatise (which it is not), rather than what it is: a simple tip intended to increase profitability.

Community Guru
1225 of 1,389

@Preston H wrote:

. My post represents a very real perspective. It is in no way insulting. 

You are now trying to dictate to me what I may find insulting?

you could have made the point about the photo without trying to score a cheap shot with the nonsense about kids and lunches.

i actually completely agree that the photo does not help at all, The point could have been made differently.

skyla m Member Since: Jan 4, 2016
1226 of 1,389

Thank you so much for your input. I have edited my overview. Is that better?

Community Guru
1227 of 1,389

@skyla m wrote:

Thank you so much for your input. I have edited my overview. Is that better?

Yes, it's better, but for my liking still a bit fluffy and check your grammar.

I'd concentrate on more precise skills and their benefit to the client (as the client looks at your profile wanting to know how hiring you will benefit them)

You have a Sales background. You understand Unique Selling Points. What are yours? Sell yourself. You are your product. SELL IT TO US!

skyla m Member Since: Jan 4, 2016
1228 of 1,389

Thank you so much for your feedback. I wil consider changing my profile picture once I can find a suitable one. It's funny you say that hahaha I wish I was driving to ballet and soccer practices all the time. Nope, I barely leave my house. I live in a secluded cabin in the woods 45 minutes from town and I currently share my car with my husband until he can get his truck fixed. I don't really leave my house unless I am going to church on Sunday or into town twice a month to buy groceries. It's rediculous.

Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
1229 of 1,389
great advice, naomi. i can never emphasize the importance of a cover letter. i am a buyer myself and i really cringe at the kind of letters i get. how will contractors expect to get a job if they just copy and paste cover letters without bothering to change them? for example, i had a job post for a transcriptionist. i received this application saying she is good in social media marketing! i mean, that's an automatic turn off. so yes, individualize your cover letter and make sure you refer to the job post. as a contractor, i ask questions in my cover letter too. usually just one or two, and pertaining to the job, clarifying the scope of the project (e.g., how many pages is the ebook). i don't maximize my job application. i have learned that sometimes when it rains, it pours, so i don't want to get a deluge of new assignments. it'd be a good idea for newbies though. again, this is a good thread to answer those contractors asking for advice to get a job here. -- aleah
Highlighted
Naomi N Member Since: Dec 14, 2008
1230 of 1,389
Thank you Smiley Happy You reminded me of a couple other points I meant to place in but completely forgot at the time I was writing this up, so I went ahead and added new points... I was worried before that maxing out my application quota would bite me in the posterior end, but I realized that (at least in my experience) no one ever seems to hire all at the same time. Of course, as I'm typing this I am desperately seeking wood to knock on (wouldn't you know it, all pressed board and veneer). But one guy will interview me for 2 weeks while another will interview me for 2-3 hours. SO - at least thus far - I have never been hired for all 20 jobs all at once... Though I was pretty scared at a couple points that I would be! At one point in time I was near heart attack level, I had all 20 applications set out, and I was involved in 17 interviews. Panic city that they would all start at once, LOL. But, in several cases, they took too long and the jobs expired. Can't win them all, though, right?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS