cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Jon W Member Since: Apr 19, 2018
1371 of 1,388

Also, it looks as if failing to respond to the spam invite I received to attend sporting events to collect data is hurting my response rate...

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
1372 of 1,388

@Jon W wrote:

Also, it looks as if failing to respond to the spam invite I received to attend sporting events to collect data is hurting my response rate...

You have the option to decline an invite, it's a one-click process and it counts as a response.

Jon, you need to work on your profile, and probably on your proposals too. Your profile is a wall of text full of useless information. Use English, talk to the client. Tell them about your experience,  but not by enumerating what you know and what you did. Do it by explaining how such and such experience or knowledge can help them.

Your proposals: never, never, never talk about yourself. The client doesn't care about you. He or she cares about what you can do for them. When the job posting contains enough information, tell them how you can help.

Marketing oneself is the hard, very hard :-)

And one last thing: you're not competing against people who work for $3/hour. These people are not your competition and clients who seek these people are not your prospects.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Naphtali B Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
1373 of 1,388

I agree John!  Especially when you say you've put in more time applying for work than actually working on Upwork.  I feel the same way and I sometimes wonder if Upwork itself isn't a false promise, bordering on scam scheme?   I think playing the lottery gives the same odds of landing real, sustaining/good paying work at this point.  I have been trying since February of 2017 and landed three writing gigs, one for an attorney, which paid the most: fifty dollars!  I try keeping it narrow to my specialties of voice-over and creative writing or blog writing - to no avail.  I have read all the "tricks" and revised my profile, substituted videos, etc - zip.  The only feedback I get is when I get the email that says, "Please note that a job that you have applied for, Introduction Letter, has expired or has been canceled by the client. Your proposal has been archived."      Maybe we should get paid for proposing!!

Ultimately, I think that I will likely give up on Upwork in disgust as I did with Gust and some other similar platforms back in the mid-2000s.

Bonne Chance to you!

Etheria G Member Since: Aug 1, 2018
1374 of 1,388

Wowwwwww...thanks a million for this insight. It has helped me greatly! I have completed my profile (100%) and I am happy about that Smiley Happy !  You just let me know that I am on the right track. Now I can continue forward! Take care!

Núria S Member Since: Jun 22, 2018
1375 of 1,388

Thanks for your super article! Really helpful Smiley Happy

Ace Contributor
Sharon H Member Since: Sep 12, 2018
1376 of 1,388

Naomi:

Very happy Thursday to you.

Really appreciate your post.  Read it to the end.  I feel encouagedby it.

I too am new and was wondering when I will land my first job.  Gonna make the adjustments to my profile etc.

Thanks a mil and blessings.

Sharon

Ace Contributor
Sharon H Member Since: Sep 12, 2018
1377 of 1,388

Hey Naomi

Might Upwork consider:

1. Classifying some jobs as "for new users only?"

2. Set a time limit for persons to be considered as "new users?" 

3. Let persons poting jobs know and let freelancers know as well

4. This can be seen as spoon feeding but it could do a lot to encourage new users

5. Set a rate/cost/pay limit for these jobs

6. Allow a job poster to have only a small number (maybe 3) jobs classified for new users only.

What do you think?

Lillian K Member Since: Dec 24, 2018
1378 of 1,388

Wow! Thank you. You are bold

Elizabeth L Member Since: May 14, 2019
1379 of 1,388
Thank you for your advice, I find them so much of a plus, real informative. I'm going to try your way, and see if it works for me too. Thanks again.
Moulisree B Member Since: Sep 20, 2016
1380 of 1,388
All the best!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS