cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Shekhar G Member Since: Dec 10, 2010
41 of 1,391
Thank a Lot! Its the best post here. And it was really helpfull
Lexis P Member Since: Dec 16, 2010
42 of 1,391
thanks for the advice and I really appreciate for what you have written on how to get a first job. And I am not really good at it as you see this is my first time to sign in on odesk. I hope I can manage my own time on my work. Well, being a first timer you will practically curious on how to get a good job and being hired from other companies. But this things should help and can make a guide on being interested to find a job.And I'm very thankful to you and I hope that you can give another advice to have another way to go in this way.
Denis D Member Since: Feb 13, 2009
43 of 1,391
specifically about the oD policy regarding identifying photos. For some time now, my profile has included my business logo rather than a photograph. Just this morning I received a polite notice/reminder that logos are unacceptable; only photos may be used. In response, I promptly deleted the image of my logo, so now my profile reflects no graphic representation relating to me or the services I provide. While I understand oD sets their policies, in my experience, organizational policies have always been developed and based on a defined rationale describing the perceived need, purpose, and/or intent the policy is to achieve or protect against. Although I fully understand the potential benefits of "putting a face to a name", there are reasons for, or circumstances under which, photos simply might not be appropriate or desired by a contractor, such as in cases of disfigurement due to accidents, disease, surgery, deformation, burns, etc., or a need for privacy due to domestic violence issues, child-protective orders, or witness protection, or previous employment by, or even vague association with, certain government agencies, or prior government service. With such circumstances in mind, photos could actually be a disservice - indeed, a danger - to a contractor, and possibly those close to him/her, yet, by having logos barred as a substitute or replacement, contractors might well be left with incomplete profiles and no graphic representation of the services they provide. In other words, it seems they are penalized by not being able to make full use of the resources available to other contractors, despite similarly relative contributions to oDs' "bottom line". I'd love to have the rationale for this policy explained in detail, so all contractors and employers might better understand why contractors' profiles might be considered "incomplete" for lack of a photograph.
Owais S Member Since: Jul 23, 2010
44 of 1,391
he he...
Linda P Member Since: Dec 24, 2010
45 of 1,391
Thank you for this article. I found and read this when I first started about a week ago. I appreciate your writing it because it gave me the steps I needed to take in order to successfully get started here at oDesk. Although I have not received any offers yet, I know I am promoting myself professionally thanks to your advice and instruction. Best wishes
Balqees A Member Since: Dec 20, 2010
46 of 1,391
thank you, i hope we get our first job, i am still waiting..........
Rosefil B Member Since: Jan 2, 2011
47 of 1,391
Thank you very much.... it help me a lot reading this....
Rodner D Member Since: Jun 16, 2010
48 of 1,391
Your are really great, thanks a lot!
Gretchen D Member Since: Jan 3, 2011
49 of 1,391
hi! i'm new here at Odesk and your post was really helpful. I learned a lot from it especially the part where you gave tips on writing the cover letter.. Hope to read more from you..
Henzen R Member Since: Sep 5, 2010
50 of 1,391
I forgot to thank you. I have read this 3 months ago and it really helps me a lot!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS